Sad News for All Who Knew Melanie Garside

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sad News for All Who Knew Melanie Garside

Post by Snow Nymph »

I can't believe this! I just saw her and she looked great! I never would have thought there was anything wrong. Condolences to her family. :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I, too, knew her only by her posts, but what great posts! This really is sad, sudden news and will take some getting used to. Why, her last post was just a little more than a week ago!
—B²
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

to the high country, rest in peace Mel.

jd
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Just got back from vacation and saw this. Sad news indeed. I met her about 5-6 year ago.
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

I have been perusing some of the threads where Mel posted in the recent past and finding her last post over on the "Worst Switchbacks" is paticularly sweet. Mel could be so funny. And she really knew how to bring people together in good conversation at sites like this one and Trail Talk. She was a one-of-a kind gal. Mel I'm missing you today.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Whoa, I'm very sorry to hear this. My condolences to friends and family. Such a wonderful spirit will really be missed.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

I wanted to take a few moments to update anyone here who has not tapped into thebackpacker.com site, and the "Reunionpalooza" thread...

To date, there's not much that's changed since our original posts regarding a "reunion", but with the new year in front of us, it seemed prudent to at least drop a note.

The July 4th Reuinionpalooze trip is still on the calendar, and we have about 15 committed participants. Our destination is Reds Meadow, near Mammoth Lakes. The plan - initially and as I write - was to head to Mel & John's the July 4th weekend (July 1st is a Friday), and spend a week at Reds at a group site, in order to more cost-effectively accomodate a large group. Mel had invited us to camp on her property - it's a beautiful place, if you haven't been there - and watch the fireworks over Lake Crowley. After that, it's on to Reds Meadow.

John, Melanie's husband, has also informed me there will be a memorial service sometime in June, as they were married some years back, and he felt doing so on their anniversary would be something she would have loved to see.

Tune in to the Trips Page on Trailtalk on thebackpacker.com to keep current on the details. I plan to post on the "Reunionpalooza" thread at least once a month, so feel free to check in now and then.

Thank you, all... I know John will be pleased to have a nice turnout, and will advise you of the date as soon as I learn it.

Michael
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Thanks Michael. I will continue to monitor. My plan is still to combine a fishing trip along with taking in July 4 at John’s place with eveyone.

Cedar planks and dutch ovens galore at Red’s Meadow for the reunion. Follow the smell…

Thanks again for taking the lead on this.

Flip
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

:partyman:

Hi, all... been a while, and thought it best to update everyone who's followed this thread in the past...

There's a memorial for Mel (SierraMel) on Sunday, July 3rd at her home in Long Valley, near Mammoth Lakes. Mel's husband, John, has invited all who knew Mel to join in the festivities, and plans have been stewing since a planned reunion gathering ("Reunionpalooza" on thebackpacker.com site, under Trail talk) was revised following Mel's passing.

The yard is large enough for anyone interested to camp out there. Traditional 4th of July fireworks will take place over Crowley Lake Sunday nite, July 3rd.

Some may recall that this originally started as a roughly week-long camp at Reds Meadow, following the fireworks, and that is still our goal. The plan is to secure [unreserved] sites in Reds Meadow at a time when most campers will have completed their holiday weekend campout, so with luck, there should be sites available. Up to six tents are allowed on one site ($20/nite), and though a larger group initially was signed up for the trip, some will not make the trip.

For those of you who would like to share in Mel's memorial, feel free to come any time from Friday, July 1st forward.

Tioga Pass, I'm informed, should be opened up today, and though there is upwards of 18 feet of snow at elevations higher than Reds Meadow, there are ample opportunities to hike and backpack at lower elevations in, and around the area.

Lastly, since Mel's hubby, John, hasn't worked much in this tough economy, while there is no "fee" to participate, any donation (suggested $10-$20) to offset his expenses would, I'm sure, be appreciated. We'll probably pass the hat, as it were, but being there to help us celebrate Mel's life - your presence - is all the contribution Mel would surely want, so if you're in the area, or looking for a great reason to spend some time in the Sierra, please feel free to join us.

You can obtain more information by:
1) emailing me at obiwan_canoli@sbcglobal.net,
2) go to thebackpacker.com, search for the "Reunionpalooza" thread

Thank you all!

Michael
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

Just a small post to remember Mel by. Today is the one year anniversary of her passing. Mel was a special person who showed me and many others the beauty of the California high sierra. I've been in love with the place since then. I'm going to sit around my fire pit tonight and drink a toast to you Mel.