Info re: BearVault BV 450

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
evan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Info re: BearVault BV 450

Post by evan »

Hello Everyone-

Im looking for some advice - info - knowledge regarding the BearVault BV 450.
wondering just how much food can actually fit into this canister? we talking food
for a 4 day mini trip or food for a 12 excersion? How tuff is this little thing?
Anyone have first hand experiences they're willing to share? Thanks in Advance :)

-Evan
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Info re: BearVault BV 450

Post by gary c. »

The 450 is great for weekends and depending on how you like to eat you can get 4 days in one. If this is going to be your first/only BC and you are thinking about doing longer trips I'd go with the 500. The 500 does wiegh 8oz more but it will hold almost 50% more. I have one of each and even if I take the 500 on a short trip I fill it with other stuff like my stove, fuel, and anything else that I can fit in there. The fact that the 500 is also taller makes it a better seat around the camfire.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a BV solo. The tabs on the lid wore out to the point that I had to replace the lid, which the company did for free.

The BV is too big for some packs and will strain the seams. Make sure you have a pack of sufficient girth before investing in one, unless you are also pack shopping.

I have seen someone cram (and I mean craaaaaammmmmmmm, with every bit of his strength, leaning into it hard) six days of food in a solo. It was a wonder he didn't burst some of the bags. He was a hefty eater; with my lesser eating habits, I can easily fit nearly a week into the BV solo without issue.

I bought a small Bare Boxer for short trips and no longer use the BV, unless I'm going out 4-6 days instead of 2-3. Saved me weight and pack space.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Hey evan,

For further info, check out the thread "Bear Canister Comparison" . BSquared posted a nice spreadsheet which breaks down the different canisters by price per pound and per volume.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Depends how you use it, but I think you'll get a 4-5 night trip worth in it. I've shared a bv450 on a 2 night, 3 day trip.