new backpack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: new backpack

Post by maverick »

It is more about getting enough room in a pack, but at the same time not getting something
made of paper.
I am a weight fanatic to a point, but I will not cut off handles or zippers to get ounces of
weight savings.
I just want a 4500 cu pack that does not weigh 5-6 lbs., just to get it to last more than
1-2 years, and pay $200-300 for it, laden with the flimsy features I will never use, and which
adds dead weight.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

"I just want a 4500 cu pack that does not weigh 5-6 lbs., just to get it to last more than
1-2 years, and pay $200-300 for it, laden with the flimsy features I will never use, and which
adds dead weight."
+1
EXACTLY...(I would even settle for less than 4 pounds, 4200 ci, bear can room, great suspension, and built to last...hence the extra cost for quality materials and workmanship.)
Mountainman who swims with trout
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

maverick wrote:you could fill a small niche in the market helping out fellow hardcore
backpackers who need a specialized pack maker, and making a profitable side business
of it at the same time!
Ah, there's the rub. Profitable it ain't. When I have made packs for friends and family, I kept track once and found I almost could have made minimum wage if I was selling the pack. Now, if I were a single guy with lots of free time I might go for it anyway. But free time is something I don't have much of.
I have a better idea - why don't you guys make your own? It's not that hard! I could help with design, might even be able to provide patterns if I can figure out how to transmit them to you (I draw my patterns in AutoCad).
I guess it says something about the packs available on the market when you guys would be interested in a pack you've never seen made by some guy you've never met.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

paul wrote:I have a better idea - why don't you guys make your own? It's not that hard! I could help with design, might even be able to provide patterns if I can figure out how to transmit them to you (I draw my patterns in AutoCad).
What type of equipment (eg, sewing machine, tools) does it take to build a pack? I'm thinking a standard sewing machine won't handle the thread required for a 35lb pack, but that's why i'm asking.

I'm guessing there would have to be some sizing prior to building as i would think most of these packs aren't entirely adjustable.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I've sewn all my packs on normal machines, and the stitching is not what gives if something does give, in my experience. This is especially true if you are making a lighter pack, which uses lighter fabric.
Yes, sizing is important, and yes, we're not talking about packs that can be adjusted to fit people of different heights - that's one of the key ways to keep it light. Adjustability adds weight.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I still would love a copy of that pattern Paul :D , I'm looking at making another pack during these rainy winter days. Any chance of exporting it to tiff/pdf, or something a layperson can read?
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Markskor-
Last summer I finally purchased my first backpacking bag;growing up dad would rent our packs seeing that we were growing like weeds, I just decided to buy one once I stopped growing & at 26 Ive stopped growing - if anything, Im shrinking LOL! Like Maverick, I too was debating between different REI Flash packs (different sizes 50, 65, etc) and Deuter Act Lite (different sizes). The toss up was great, the REI Flashes were great, well designed bags yet, seemed a little too flimsy. The Deuter Act Lites were equally great, well designed bags and they had the selling point- they were infinitely more ridged than the REI Flashes. So, I ended up purchasing the Deuter Act Lite 65 + 10! Love it, still making minor tweeks to the harneses for optimal comfort and making tweeks to the manner in which I pack the bag itself. Hope this helped! If anyone has tips/ experience with a Deuter, I would be interested to hear it (although, Im not giving up this bag for anything)! Thanks!
-Evan
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

PS Markskor-
Suppose I left out the crucial info regarding the Deuter Act Lite 65+10. On my way into Little Lakes Valley (LLV) this past summer in carried my canister (standard rentable canister from the Forest Department) vertically in the pack - I fully extended the "lid" straps of the bag to accomodate the canister then suggly tightened the "lid" down around the canister. In this scenario, the canister was at the very top of the pack but, no discomfort or awkward center of balance. On the way out of LLv, I carried the canister again at the very top of the pack but, in a horizontal fashion (not sure exactly why - possibly having to do with maximizing space inside the pack) but, horizontally is the fashion in which Ive always carried a canister! Hope this helped!
-Evan
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would (and will, when I have money) go to Santa Cruz, to the Down Works, and try on all the ULA and Granite Gear packs. (My next pack will probably be ULA. for a light pack they seem to be built very well.) I already have a Nimbus Ozone - the pack bag is a bit large for me now, as I have diminished my load to a 40 liter when not wrangling a large bear can. But the Ozone might fit a weekender in horizontally, come to think of it. The largest ULA has more capacity than the Ozone - 4,600 cu in/ 75 liters, vs. 3800 cu in - and the pack bag is impressively wide. Supposedly carries 40 lbs or less. I would guess the comfort point for me with a ULA frame to be in the neighborhood of 30 -35, based on my examining it in the store with sandbags and previous use of a semi-framed (gossamer gear) pack.

They also have all of the Ospreys, or did at my last visit. Also more down gear and more lightweight gear than you can shake a stick at - and they are backpackers themselves, so would not be raising an eyebrow at you if you show up with all your gear to try it in packs.

If I ever had enough money (probably not in the cards) I would be all over a McHale - but my budget remains low even when employed... so not likely to happen. :(
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Late to the dance here, but heck.....

I have an Osprey Atmos 85 which could carry a ton of weight, but my legs don't want to. The pack weighs 6.5 lbs, which puts my pack/shelter/Bag/pad weight at over 13 lbs total. I want it to be more like 9.

A boutique pack maker / through hiker. The catalyst might be my next pack, guaranteed to fit most every bear can:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;