High sunrise, low sunset - like Norman Clyde did 80 yrs ago

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
teejay
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: High sunrise, low sunset - like Norman Clyde did 80 yrs ago

Post by teejay »

Great report! Very nice that you acknowledged Clyde in your title. It makes me sore all over when I consider that in his adventure, he not only made the climb, but also the experience he must have endured in traveling over the “roads” of the day in a auto with a primitive suspension system –ouch.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

The second picture of the initial note in this stream is magnificent. Awesome. Thats the place - the ancient, undisturbed surface. That's where you go to see the best alpine flowers and ancient plant communities.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I've never done anything nearly so difficult as this. The only thing I did that was (only) vaguely similar was I surfed San Onofre and skied Big Bear on the same day. I had read a report of someone doing this in the LA Times so I thought I'd try it. It was no fun. I only got to surf less than 2 hours and got to ski only 3 hours. It seemed like I was in my car all day. It reminded me of days I had hiked seemingly all day - no fun.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wonderful trip, great companions, good story all around! I'm envious!
—B²
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Amazing TR Snow Nymph!-
I have never been to Death Valley or summited Mt Whitney; both of which are on my 'bucket list'! Your TR was inspiring - especially with that ending quote by Morrison! Thanks for sharing that experience!
-Evan