Need advice on telephoto lens

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Need advice on telephoto lens

Post by The Other Tom »

I have a Canon digital rebel with a 70-300mm zoom. I'd like to either extend the zoom (2X extender ?) or maybe just get a 400 or 500 mm lens. I looked at extenders and they're like $300 ! Ouch !
Any recommendations on how to get a longer lens, cheap ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need advice on telephoto lens

Post by maverick »

Hi Tom

Tom writes " I'd like to either extend the zoom (2X extender ?) or maybe just get
a 400 or 500 mm lens. I looked at extenders and they're like $300 ! Ouch !" wait till
you looked at what a 400 or 500 mm lens costs, or even the 100-400 costs?
What are you taking pic's of that make you want more reach?
Are you going to print you photo's?
Your lens with a 2x extender will loose autofocus, if I remember correctly, and the
IQ will be quite degraded.
FredMiranda.com has a sale section where you could find a good deal on a lens
from a reputable seller, I have bought two lenses from individuals, and have been
happy with my purchases.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, Mav. I may print the photos, but no larger than 8X10. I'll check out the link.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

You get what you pay for (the 70-300 in my opinion is one of the worst lenses I've ever used). The 100-400 is a great lens. I have the 400mm f5.6 fixed and it is hands down the best lens I have. But yes, these are very high quality lenses and fall in the >$1000 range. They don't loose much value over time however, as you will see from the resale values.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

copeg wrote:You get what you pay for (the 70-300 in my opinion is one of the worst lenses I've ever used). The 100-400 is a great lens. I have the 400mm f5.6 fixed and it is hands down the best lens I have. But yes, these are very high quality lenses and fall in the >$1000 range. They don't loose much value over time however, as you will see from the resale values.
+1. I'm using the fixed 300mm f/4 lens. I also use the 1.4x TC for most of my wildlife shots. Would love to afford a 500mm lens (or bigger), but that ain't happening any time soon...LOL! :crybaby:
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Mike,
I'm leaning toward a TC (maybe 2X). How's the 1.4X work out for you ? My main fear is loss of sharpness.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

The Other Tom wrote:Mike,
I'm leaning toward a TC (maybe 2X). How's the 1.4X work out for you ? My main fear is loss of sharpness.
I've not confirmed this, but I hear that the 2x is not a sharp as the 1.4. My 1.4 is basically "glued" to my 300mm f/4L IS lens...LOL!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The Other Tom wrote:Any recommendations on how to get a longer lens, cheap ?
you can find cheap glass on ebay... but you'll probably hate the image quality you get from these stovepipe lenses :)

A good long lens will cost you as much as a used car. It's worth it if you have a real need for it, otherwise, ignore, since in the backcountry, these lenses are just dead weight unless you're chasing animals. I've used most of the high end Canon glass when I made money with these things, but I wouldn't think of ever carrying one of these into the backcountry. I'm not enough into the bird or animal photo thing to need a 600 f4 in my pack...

can't help you with what's available in affordable longer Canon lenses - lost track of their stuff since I switched to Nikon a few years ago, but based on my experience in the past, there's a decent consumer level for casual use, but to get the real goods, you need to take out that second mortgage.