Bag nights?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Bag nights?

Post by ndwoods »

Snow Nymph wrote:I don't backpack anymore.
Yea Snow Nymph but I remember when you almost or in fact did win a contest for most bag nights in a year! Wasn't it a backpack mag contest or something????? How many nights did you get that year?
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Shawn wrote:Zero, none, nada, 0. :angry:

2010 was to be my year to catch up from too many days at work and spend lots of time in the mountains. Apparently karma is working against me as just the opposite occurred.

Thank goodness for HST, as least I can enjoy the TR's, photos and stories from others.
I hear ya, Shawn. This was my worst year for Sierra activity in, I don't know how many years... :tear:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Snow Nymph wrote:I don't backpack anymore, but got one bag night on Whitney (Sept 29-30) this year. It was my first bag night on the trail since 2008, and reminded me why I don't backpack anymore.
Umm, okay. But I hope you're good with that, 'cause all I have to say is...
Snow Nymph wrote:I sleep in my truck every weekend, usually 2 nights unless I'm in Mammoth (stay in our condo). I have not added up the number of peaks, nights in the truck or hikes, but its up there. The only number I keep track of is consecutive weekends, which is 249.
Wow. Un....freakin'....real. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Only 19 nights backpacking this year, 9 nights car camping, and another 14 nights sleeping between sheets in an old Mining Camp and Hotels directly leading to day hikes. I have no idea how many day hikes I took this year, probably well over 30 if you count cross country skiing. I have also spent a bunch of days this fall on the couch swilling beer and watching baseball and football and, just this week, basketball. (actually after a beer or two I often sleep during this phase of my life)

Life is good!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Wow, Eric I agree with what you write but never so much as this. Un Freakin real. For sure.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

ERIC wrote:
Snow Nymph wrote:I don't backpack anymore, but got one bag night on Whitney (Sept 29-30) this year. It was my first bag night on the trail since 2008, and reminded me why I don't backpack anymore.
Umm, okay. But I hope you're good with that, 'cause all I have to say is...
Snow Nymph wrote:I sleep in my truck every weekend, usually 2 nights unless I'm in Mammoth (stay in our condo). I have not added up the number of peaks, nights in the truck or hikes, but its up there. The only number I keep track of is consecutive weekends, which is 249.
Wow. Un....freakin'....real. :thumbsup:

Guess that didn't sound right. The weight of the pack on the hips is why I don't backpack. Love being there, tho! 250 this week! 10 more weeks til I reach the 5 year mark. Here's another number . . . I've missed only 8 weekends since '98. :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

OK...bag nights? 19. Car camping? Another 8 or so.

But I also have done 5600 miles on my bicycle this year...and 100,000 miles of business travel on airlines.

what time is it? What day is it?

And is this really my house?

grin.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Now this is an interesting subject I'd not thought of before.

I (not retired yet) had over 70 nights in the bag in the Seirra, White's, Inyo's, and Death Valley. But only 2 peaks.

My Sweetie (retired) had over 120 nights in the bag in the same locales, but bagged around 20 peaks (she has the actual count, I don't - she's got something like 512 now).

Our nights in Death Valley this year were the BEST. Love live the Death Valley monkeyflower and the Last Chance Range!
PCT1981
Topix Novice

Post by PCT1981 »

I only had 14 nights in the Sierra this year, but my excuse is that I live in Hawaii.
Mahalo
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Four nights wandering around the headwaters of Fish creek, two nights at Trailside camp doing Whitney and three nights, at Santa Cruz station in the Los Padres NF. Whitney was quite the "bag Nights", wild and windy, no tent, and dozens of other campers huddled in their tents, flapping around like storm warning flags in a gale. Whitney is a Sierra experience not to be missed!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien