April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Mammoth snowfall is at an all-time record of 632 inches for the season (was 617) and its still snowing! :eek:

We can try for the 8am start. (ok with you, Trekker?) If we can't make it, we'll take the 10am ride up, but don't wait for us.

MiT, wish you could join us!

Looking forward to the weekend! \:D/
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Sounds good, if phone service works we might touch bases, could bring one more sled (a basic plastic kids sled) and leave it at the lodge for you guys, easy to pull rather than carry. If anyone else besides Sn, Trekker, Trail bud is going for sure, e mail me your cell if you want a Friday night update on road/parking conditions etc.
Dave
Last edited by ridgeline on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

It looks like I'm out. I thought with me working the last couple Saturdays that I might be able to have this coming weekend off. It looks like mandatory overtime since we are getting into bike season and those titles are coming fast now. I'll ask to see if I still have to work, but if we are behind, I'll have to help out. Maybe I can make it. More money for a winter tent if I can ever get my local store to get it.

I haven't heard a word from Gak, so I guess he moved on. I sent a message thru here and a email to him also. If I don't make it you guys have fun.
Piece of cake.
Gak Icenberg
Topix Novice

Post by Gak Icenberg »

hiker duane, gak here. i'm not able to make it unfortunately. things are too crazy right now. in about a month or so things may be better. i will be up for an over nighter or a day trip or perhaps something else that might be coming up. if you go have a good one, and keep in touch for the future. to everyone else be safe and have a good time. think avalanche safety if called for. -------gak
when someone screws up, yell at them, they'll love it!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

hikerduane, gak, wingding,
Maybe we can do another trip when the snow settles down.

Randonee,
Are you coming on this one?

Ridgeline,
I sent you my cell #. I've never used a sled, but if its a kids sled, its probably my size! :D Might be easier for me since altitude is an issue with me the first day. :puke:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

If we can get to the lodge with an extra sled we will leave it along the road at the turn off to the lodge with a note. Will try and call early Sat Morning 6-7am prior to your getting closer than toms place.

Come on everyone! make it a last minute trip, they're the best.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Yes, another trip when the snow settles would be great.
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

At this moment it looks like I am going to have to pass as well. :(
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

:) The manager of my department was messing with one of the Team Leaders and left me out of his prank. I don't have to work Saturday. I was thinking of going Friday night, but I can get a better nights sleep in Carson City, plus I can get an earlier start on Saturday. Instead of sleeping until it is light, I can hit the parking lot shortly after first light by driving down on Sat. morn. We'll see, 6 of one half a dozen of another. I should be there before 9, eat in Lee Vining if the cafe is open.:)

Too bad about those ski patrol folks.:(
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

hikerduane, Glad you can make it! :D

Randonee, :(