Sad News for All Who Knew Melanie Garside

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sad News for All Who Knew Melanie Garside

Post by obiwan canoli »

I regret to inform everyone that Melanie Garside - SierraMel to those who knew her - passed away Monday October 25th of a blood clot to the lung.

Yesterday, I received an email from Mel's husband, John, who informed me of this very sad news, and asked that I post this information to the forum at thebackpacker.com (See the reunionpalooza thread).

Since Mel was a respected member here, I wanted to post in this forum so that all who knew Mel would be advised.

Michael
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sad News for All Who Knew Melanie Garside

Post by maverick »

Wow, this is very sad news.
Melanie's spunkiness, her love for the Sierra, that showed in every post, and her
knowledge of these mountains will be sourly missed, but definitely not forgotten
by us!
I wish the best for her husband, and family in this hard time, but I am sure that her
spirit will guide them through this difficult time.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

I am saddened also to hear of Sierra Mel's passing. I knew her only thru places such as this, thru stories passed on by others who knew her well, and thru a kinship that was felt in her love and passion for the Sierra. She has been legendary, and her spirit will dwell in these mountains forever. Even as a stranger, I want to extend my condolences and heartfelt wishes of spiritual support for her family during this time. She will be missed by many, including me.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Though I never met her I enjoyed her posts and could tell by the posts of those that knew her she must have been a heck of a gal. My condolences and prayers to her family and all that knew her. I'm sure that her spirit will be felt by many as they cross a remembered high mountain pass.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Wow. This is such a tragic loss...

I too never had the pleasure of personally meeting Melanie. But she was one of our original members more than 10 years ago, and I was fortunate enough to learn a little bit about her through her postings over the years. Her vast knowledge of the Sierra, quick wit and humor will be sorely missed.

My sincere condolences to her husband, and to all who knew her well.

RIP sierramel
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

I am saddened. I met her twice on the trail and she was always chatty and nice.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LN ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

A tragic loss; rest in peace SierraMel. :(
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Melanie will be deeply missed by me and my family. She organized many group trips years ago, usually fishing destinations. I tagged along with her on trips the year she was performing fish surveys for DFG. She introduced me to llama packing and if not for her, I would not have gotten into llama packing. My kids have been on hikes with her and introduced to her "brand" of backcountry travel. Over on thebackpacker we were in the process of organizing a "Reunion Palooza" trip this summer (thanks Obi) with the pre-trip get together at her house (just like old times). I last visited with her a few weeks ago, I always stop by their place on Lake Crowley when on travels to the southern Sierra, she looked better than ever. This news came COMPLETELY out of left field for me and is extremely shocking. A tried and true high Sierra fishing authority is gone and another spirit is out there on the trail...with a llama named Larry.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

What awful news. My condolences to Melanie's friends and family.
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

It's hard to believe what I'm reading. This is so sad. Mel was a great lady. Generous, warm hearted, funny, educated and witty are the words that come to mind when I think of Mel. My condolences to her husband John and I know she had a daughter. I hadn't heard anything from or about Mel since that Sierra Rendezvous trip when she came to see us in the campgound below Kearsarge Pass. Had she been sick?