subscriptions drop

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

subscriptions drop

Post by John Dittli »

I'm subscribed to several forums (Backpacking, photography, winter sports) and after a while I quite getting notifications. Any ideas?

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: subscriptions drop

Post by ERIC »

Have you checked to see if the emails are going to your junk mail, or, if you blocked my email address by mistake?

Is anyone else having this problem?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm not sure the subscriptions drop. They seem to be thread based if you post or subscribe. For instance, in the Backpacking forum, i don't get notified in a thread i didn't post in. Not sure if that helps, but it might explain the behavior you see, JD ..

From the FAQ:
Topic Subscriptions and Bookmarks
What is the difference between bookmarking and subscribing?
Bookmarking in phpBB3 is much like bookmarking in your web browser. You aren’t alerted when there’s an update, but you can come back to the topic later. Subscribing, however, will notify you when there is an update to the topic or forum on the board via your preferred method or methods.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:I'm not sure the subscriptions drop. They seem to be thread based if you post or subscribe. For instance, in the Backpacking forum, i don't get notified in a thread i didn't post in. Not sure if that helps, but it might explain the behavior you see, JD ..
You should be able to subscribe to an individual thread, or to an entire forum. And whether or not you posted to a particular thread or forum, if you subscribed to it, you should be receiving notifications when something new has been posted. Russ, let me know if something different is happening, and I'll look around to see if there's a solution.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I don't know what's going on. I'm subscribed to Backpacking, Winter Sports and Photography and haven't received an update in weeks?
Maybe I'll just try subscribing to the entire site (if you can do that) and see what happens...

jd
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok, so maybe there is a problem. I too am subscribed to the backpacking forum (checkmark checked on the bottom of the forum page), and I only receive alerts if it's on a thread that i posted on. Is that what you see, JD?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Well I just checked. I have commented on both Sierra inspiration and Green with Envy under Photography and have not received notifications of the recent posts. I did however just subscribe to this thread and received a notice that you responded.

jd
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

As a side note. We have your email address filtered to send to a specific file in gmail, so they would be hard to miss.
jd
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah.. not dropping into a spam filter for me either.. Eric can check our logs (in his spare time ;) ) and see if there was a message sent. I'm guessing we need a test case, which JD, you already gave..
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I unsubscribed then resubscribed to photography and just received the most recent post (in the fish thread which I have not commented on). I did this same thing before (last month?), got notices for a while, then they quit coming?

JD