Green with envy over your beautiful photos

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Green with envy over your beautiful photos

Post by rlown »

ok, MK.. i read that post several times, and i still don't get what you're after.. :D

Um, All I want to know is when did giantbrookie find time to climb up this mountain and put a big Z on it to confuse his geology majors?
Puppet Lk 2010 029.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I read that a couple times over and all I could say was, "Huh?"
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I'll make it simple for ya mountaineer. Here's the Cliff Notes version. We'll start with the first (topic) sentence:

It would be exciting and interesting to see what you all might pursue beyond the concepts of "pretty," "beautiful" or "Biblical dramatic."

Got that? Now skip to the concluding statement:

It would be kind of fun to have a 'show' on this forum of work that transmits a sense of authenticity and a certain Sierra something, but specifically not in the service landscape romanticism.

Everything in-between amplifies on the topic sentence, and provides rational for the closing statement.

If still confused, PM me.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Thanks.

So, basically you are saying shots that show the ugly side of the Sierra?
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Is something like this what you are talking about?

or this...

John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

2_MG_5293merge.jpg
hmmmm? The ugly side of the Sierra. I have some but they probably aren't fit for a family site :D

Photojournalism?

Here's one; we used to look 20...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

John,
Fantastic capture...Kudos to you!
BTW, is that Doug Sr., map-reading under the dipper?
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Thank you. No, not Doug Sr, Rob Russell. Skied the Muir Trail w/him back in '81, I swear his skin was smoother then!

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

Surely MK isn't asking for ugly pictures of the sierras.. We all have hundreds of those. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he is asking to see more "artistic" notions we have of the Sierra. Suggesting that we all know of the booming, grand, god speaking from the sky, type of image, but he s asking for an individual, intimate take on the place. We are a group of people that are so driven by this landscape and place that we sit at home and exchange our love of it with strangers, in place of actually being there.
Speaking for myself, I continually find it difficult to seperate the sierra from the "grand landscape" type photograph. Photography for me speaks to personal experience, and my experience in the Sierra is very much about that grand landscape.
For me it's hard to find irony, and a kind of "human comedy" high in the mountains, and that is infact one of the main reasons i find myself retreating there...the other of course is, fish.

Let me try and explain visually...

I find these all to be good representaions of how i like to make photographs of my experiences,
ie. The Florida Keys, Eastern Oregon, and Air Travel.

And this is the most succesful way i have represented my sierra experience. Yet to me still very heavy with the "grand landscape" feel, but that is simply the nature of the beast...

Sorry if this is more than people care to chew on, but i find this is a very interesting topic... I have a feeling MK and myself are what i endearingly like to refer to as Art F%#s...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

how much for a print of that dead fish photo? :D

I think you're spot on in your analysis.. And, any pic with your dog in it is good enough for me.. oh, and yes, the background is nice as well.

I thought this thread was about technique and camera choice, but i've been wrong before..