Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SEKI SAR
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress

Post by SEKI SAR »

Inyo County SAR and SEKI SAR are currently conducting an Search & Rescue Operation on Mt. Whitney. SAR teams are searching for 3 male individuals aged in their mid-forties that summited Mt. Whitney late Monday evening. Last contact with the party was at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday via text msg from the summit hut requesting assistance. Clothing and equipment descriptions are unknown at this time. Any hikers who may have seen or come into contact with this party are requested to contact SEKI SAR Incident Command at 559 565-3117, 3118, 3119 or 559 565-3188, 3189.

Any assistance in this incident is greatly appreciated.

SEKI SAR
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Whitney Search & Rescue Operation in Progress

Post by rlown »

Nice to have you aboard and broadcast SAR Ops.. Please give us an update on closure of the case..
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

reposted on the Whitney board
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve_C »

Also posted on WhitneyZone:
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

UPDATE:

See the three attached flyers for specific information and photos of the missing parties. Any hikers who may have seen or come in contact with any of the individuals should call the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Incident Command Post at 559-565-3117 or Inyo County at 760-873-2513.

Approximately 45 people have been assigned to the incident as of October 20. Search operations are being hampered by snowstorms with accumulations between 1-3 feet of new snow. Additional staff and a helicopter have been ordered in the hope that the weather will allow search operations to continue tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve_C »

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm glad they were found uninjured!
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

See news release about additional missing hikers...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yet another good reason for getting a SPOT. You know, I think I've nearly convinced myself... ;)

There's clearly another interesting story here, though (in addition to the story about the Nebraska climbers): what was their intended "cross-country loop?" What was their actual route? How did they manage to get to Road's End through all that snow? Hope more of this comes out!
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not sure a SPOT would have been any better then the cell phone they texted with.. But, It does depend on where you are and if you can still operate the device..

And why does the initial report say 3 missing hikers and the report out memo says 2?

Where there two incidents here? I'm almost thinking that SEKI SAR and SEKI public affairs are reporting different incidents..