Worst Switchbacks in the Sierras...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Worst Switchbacks in the Sierras...

Post by BSquared »

Ah, what I wouldn't give for a few decent switchbacks in the Green Mountains (Vermont) or the Whites (New Hampshire)! Out here, the (*&^% trails seem to go directly up (or down, which is worse). "Where's the trail" we ask? "Oh, it's that waterfall over there." Sheesh...
—B²
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

markskor wrote:Among many bad trail designs, three immediately come to mind -
Twin Lakes Trailhead: Mono Village to Barney - one long 1/2 - 3/4 mile switchback that gains ~30 feet of elevation.
Are you talking about the ones just above Barney, where you switchback up and then 1/2 mile later switchback down again? I really hated those. (Also hated the the 3 Robinson Creek crossings within 1/2 mile, 2 of which were completely unnecessary...but that's another topic...)
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

markskor wrote:Among many bad trail designs, three immediately come to mind -
Twin Lakes Trailhead: Mono Village to Barney - one long 1/2 - 3/4 mile switchback that gains ~30 feet of elevation.
There is one long curving one that approaches Barney Lake which seems like a lotta trail for nuttin'. Then (as mentioned) there is the trail above Barney that gains and loses about 100 feet. I mention these here: http://www.sierra-trails.com/benson/benson02.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Annoying. Still, one of the easiest east-side passes.
Another one is the moraine-top TH for Bloody Canyon, where you first drop several hundred feet before heading back up. Not so much fun coming back.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

markskor.......
Ooo, ow, oo, ouch, e-GAD!
The first "long" trip I ever made with my girlfriend, Loretta (JD - you know Loretta? Been in town since Gawd was a kid?), was from Mammoth to Yosemite. Knowing next to nothing at that time about gear, OR shoes, I did the entire trip in tennies. I never knew such awfulness as that section of cobblestone hell you describe. Thin rubber soles, every step was sheer torture.
Whose idea was it to pave those trails back there with those things? And they're still there! :eek:
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Any switchback that goes downhill when traveling in the uphill direction, or vis versa.
Perfect! :thumbsup:

I also second Shepherds Pass, between M-Flat and Anvil. That sucks!

I haven't been on the one Mark describes, heard too many bad things. :D

Neat Loretta story Mel!
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Mt Lassen!!! (although technically may be not in the Sierra's. Isn't it considered Cascades???)
I climbed Mt Lassen when I was 10 years old and I can still remember those vicious switchbacks all the way to the top.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Lots of passes mention I have done and are pretty bad, but from the west side, Black Rock Pass is the most exposed grinding grueling endless trudge (starting below Pinto Lake). I would also say the nearby Sawtooth Pass going west to east would be the worst, but I would never do that on purpose.
I have been over Black Rock Pass twice from the east side and each time I have thought "OMG, I'm glad I'm not going the other way!". An eternity up loooong switchbacks, however I like the starkness of the view so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad.,..
ceragold5150
Topix Acquainted

Post by ceragold5150 »

Switchbacks - ease the climb. Worst switchbacks are the ones when you are out of shape! Hint! Hint! :unibrow:
JMat
Topix Regular

Post by JMat »

markskor wrote:Tuolumne Pass (out of TM)- at the 10,000 ft. metal sign, one way goes down to Boothe and the other says 1/2 mile to Voglesang but feels closer to a mile and with their great switchback planning, gains and looses the same 500 feet of elevation 3 X.
Cobblestone switchbacks above Merced Lake coming from Voglesang: 2000 foot loss of too-small cobblestone hell.
There are too many to name but I have to agree with Marskor on these two for sure... That swtchback down to Merced Lake has to be one of the worst around. I did it for the first time when I was10 or 11 and it;s still as bad today as it was then,
I vote for another too... The 2000' decent to Summit City Canyon from 4th of July Lake into the Moke drainage on to findout you going to have to do it all over again just to get out of their. I did that hike (The OLd Tahoe Yousemite Trail) back when I was 19 and that part sure was rough.

John
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

hmmm -- Jacob's Ladder in the Marble Mountains comes to mind...
Last edited by dave54 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=