Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
flyfishinpacker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

Post by flyfishinpacker »

haha, i dont even like the yankees. It was the only hat i could find before i left on the trip. The mystery location was in the john muir wilderness. I love the serenity of being out in the woods and casting dries to 15inch rising bows.

Everyones different, but i feel like music added to the serenity of my trip. I sat right infront of this perfect pool, relaxed and listened to music for hours. I thought the site would be useful to you guys, being that i love taking pictures of my adventures as do many others. Reflecting back on pictures during a rough work week really helps me out.
Last edited by ERIC on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nice posts...but registering should have informed you of our policy on SPAM.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I'm late to the concert hall, but I agree with MK. Sorry to see Flyfishinpacker get bashed both on account of the Yankees (although I have to admit I agree) and his music! Welcome to the forum (seriously, it's a terrific place).

For me, an IPod is the single most essential small items in my pack, after duct tape. During most solo trips, there is at least one long, boring and exhausting stretch of trail that I cannot imagine getting through without my music. This is usually the last day, coming back down to the trailhead, going through switchback hell (e.g., the trail from Kearsarge Pass down to Onion Valley, or the sadistic switchbacks between Anvil Camp and Mahogany Flats -- hey, I should start a thread on worst switchbacks in the Sierra). And it's not cantatas and motets either. Source Codes and Tags (by a group called ...And You Shall Know Us by the Trail of the Dead -- and the only reason I'm not part of that particular trail is my IPod!) has saved my butt more than once.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Great 'bow!
Personally, I don't bring electronics, but I've taken my kids on a couple of trips and watching my daughter sit near a stream, listening to her IPod was a sight to behold. She's plugged in most of the time anyway, if it makes her happy, more power to her. My son brought his Gameboy to entertain him at night, in the tent with no campfires allowed. It was the difference he needed to feel less homesick during the night. As with anything else, as long as it doesn't impinge on others, more power to 'em. I guess it largely depends on what era one was raised. Today, the kids have much more portable entertainment that past generations.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

flyfishinpacker;
Nice first post - that is a beautiful fish.
Thanks for sharing.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures, and for initiating the lively debate. You don't work for that website, do you? I think this violates some kind of spamming rule on this forum...just wondering.
flyfishinpacker
Topix Newbie

Post by flyfishinpacker »

bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

flyfishinpacker wrote:The mystery location was in the john muir wilderness.
ah ha!!! I was right!!!! :D

flyfishinpacker wrote:Reflecting back on pictures during a rough work week really helps me out.
Ummm, yeah... I do that all the time. And sometimes I find webcams from the Sierra and check 'em out once in a while when I take mini breaks from work ... helps keep me motivated, seeing what it looks like at that instant in a mountain area I've been to, helping take me back to that spot :)
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

The funny thing (to me) about this thread is that I started out asking flyfishinpacker about his motivation for listening to music in the wilderness. Then the "lively debate" ensued. Then, that made me think about it more, and I remembered that when I spent a summer backpacking & camping alone in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, when I was 17, I too brought along electronics. Though in those days it was a little transistor radio :). I definitely didn't play music out in the open, and didn't listen while I was hiking - that's definitely not my thing, then or now, ... but I did listen to it with a little earphone, in my tent, in the evening before going to sleep (and on rainy days when I didn't feel like hiking).

These days I don't carry so much as a Nano or Shuffle with me backpacking, at least in summer. Maybe that'll change when I go out in the winter, since the nights are so long.

Hmmm, as they say, "the more things change, the more they stay the same". :)
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Post by EastSideClimb »

Swimming, fishing, wandering, photographin' that looks like the life. I've used music on the trail before, my brother's Tupac tape (hey it was the nineties). I just kinda thought it was funny to be meandering down to Green Creek while listening to rap music through my earphones. Of all the photos, im just in awe of how crisp the Yanks cap was! I always wear my Kens Sporting Goods hat which has become bleached and grimy but is my good luck charm.

FFP: What rod where you packing in?
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Hello Flyfishinpacker-

Not sure exactly where that is but, like all of the sierra, its gorgeous! Speaking of gorgeous - GREAT JOB with that 'bow! I was interested in that electronics site but, theres an error in the link - wondered if you could please repost that? Thanks and Happy Fishing!

-Evan