Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierramel
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

Post by sierramel »

30 years ago I tried taking my 12 year old daughter out on a couple of short backpacking trips, and she could never get along without taking along a cassette recorder which she would play while hiking. It nearly drove me crazy.
Over the years since then, the only time I ever took along canned music - and classical at that - was on a three week solo hike I did on the JMT about 25 years ago. It was OK - but I did it out of the worry I had that I might get lonely out there for so long by myself. I found out differently. I never did it again - even on longer solo trips.
I like to listen to the water, the wind, the birds, and screaming squirrels and pikas. The splash of that trout jmuping in the lake.
I too dislike seeing someone coming down the trail plugged into a ipod, bopping along to music I can hear as they get close to me. GET A GRIP!
I also HATE cell phones in the backcountry - but don't get me started on that.
I mean, what did everyone DO 20 years ago before cell phones existed?! Scream for their mama when they couldn't figure out how to light a fire, or wanted to know if they had mail? God-forbid they can't call out for an immediate rescue. That's why God made backcountry rangers. Sooner or later you or a hiker passing you will get a message out. You rarely die.
I don't have a cell phone. I think they're barbaric.
Say, didn't this thread start out being about a fly fishing trip?
Somewhere there is a thread about thread disintigration after so many posts.........
Big Pardon here for this...... I'm glad your fishing trip was so good and I really enjoyed your picture(s).
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

......I should keep my big mouth to myself. I wanted to tell you that is one damfastic fish you have there. I'm probably just jealous that you caught it instead of me.
The next thing you know, I'm going to start complaining about people taking cameras into the backcountry instead of sketch pads and pencils. ;)
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Good recovery sierramal. Good for you. I was a music major for a year, and a musician for many. Despite this I wouldn't want music in my wilderness experience. Knowing what's right and approbate for me doesn't mean I know what's right for others. Tolerance is part of good character.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I think the HST community owes an apology to flyfishinpacker- he shows up brimming with excitement and interest, has a nice story to tell and he gets the "mommy lecture" about what are essentially his personal choices about how he chooses to frame his experience. Good grief people- of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but this good person simply pokes their head in the door and gets what I consider to be an intrusive and snarky mini-lecture. Rlown was right there was a thread about this recently and I was kinda appalled about how narrowly defined the "appropriate" behaviors were. Oh I get it- sit around and sing Cumbaya is that okay? Live and let live folks, and if someone is of good character, welcome them. :rock:
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just yesterday, 10,200 feet elevation, I was listening to a little Willie Nelson - "Whiskey River" ...just before the cocktail hour too.
Coincidence? - I think not.
BTW, nice report.

(FYI, my iPod holds a couple/three hundred, songs and weighs nothing...good for about 15 hours.)
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. enough about musak..

start a different thread.. about music in the backcountry...

Again.. Amazing fish.. and very great waterfall pics..
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Geeze, I'm sorry I even asked the question. It certainly wasn't anything resembling a lecture. Someone said they did something (listened to music), the idea of it in that context surprised me, so I asked about it. I'm sorry it was interpreted some other way...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah. sometimes things drift.. don't be sorry, not your fault bh.. wish i could find that thread on musak in the backcountry... i'd redirect from a successfull TR...
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I guess it just goes to show we need to be careful what we ask in these forums ... never know what it's going to trigger :)
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

so back to the original post, where was the mystery location? Aside from the Yankees cap, it looks beautiful!

regarding music, I once came out of a few day glacier traverse in north cascades to see a guy at cub lake, which is not super remote, but still a long hike and steep bushwack from the road, out fishing in an inflatable raft listening to the local classic rock station blaring from his boom box that took god-knows-how-many D batteries blaring from his campsite on shore.

I was pretty annoyed at first, but my friend and I ended up leaving more in awe of his carrying in all the crap we saw around the campsite than annoyed at the music.