I am an Idiot

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

I am an Idiot

Post by markskor »

Getting ready for that last Sierra trip this last weekend,
Drinking a little wine with Russ, gear all spread out - dreaming,
More gear examined/decisions...
Plastic storage bins full of crap - old Mountain House meals - took a 4-man Beef Stew.

Found my hanging WM bag - stuffed it inside its sack,
and then proceeded later, somehow, to cram another, the wrong sleeping bag into my pack -
same colored stuffsack,
some damn synthetic -
almost froze.
Got to be a lesson here...
Never talk to Russ when getting your stuff together.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: I am an Idiot

Post by AlmostThere »

=D>

I could list all the items I did not put in my SAR pack yesterday. Good thing we did not have a surprise pack check, and focused on low angle training. It would have been rather embarrassing to show up without a radio, or food, or the rain gear. ](*,)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

markskor wrote:Getting ready for that last Sierra trip this last weekend,
Drinking a little wine with Russ, gear all spread out - dreaming,
More gear examined/decisions...
Plastic storage bins full of crap - old Mountain House meals - took a 4-man Beef Stew.

Found my hanging WM bag - stuffed it inside its sack,
and then proceeded later, somehow, to cram another, the wrong sleeping bag into my pack -
same colored stuffsack,
some damn synthetic -
almost froze.
Got to be a lesson here...
Never talk to Russ when getting your stuff together.
Um, my bags/stuff sacks are color coded.. And your food is beyond the date of exipration.. That 4 man beef stew has almost as many trail miles as you do.. And your stove fuel? well.. :lol: at least it was still a good trip and no one had to press a SPOT device or go home skunked.

The lesson is.. Organize, check, reorganize, recheck.

In the end, we were fine and you weren't cold.. Might be different if we were still up there today.

It was only a little cold and snow on the ground from the last storm:
Saddlebag Lk 2010 007.JPG
BTW, Russ doesn't talk too much, but it was fun watching Mark put his gear together..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

been there, done that! :rolleyes:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Mark

Can I quote you?

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Like everyone else (I'm sure), I have a check list: Spring, Summer, Fall (I don't do Winter anymore) - periodically adjusted for new gear additions, and culling out old gear. I go through all my food - in storage bins - every spring. And color coded stuff sacks (for the most part). But no matter what, I still have the occasional beating my head on a rock situation.
A couple of years ago, the husband got into my stuff. He crammed 2, 3/4 length thermarests into one stuff sack, that looked the same as the one I usually take out on my trips. I didn't check before I left. The road to hel! is paved with assumptions.
Imagine my surprise on a 2 week trip when on the first night I pulled those dam@ things out at bed time. :eek:
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Sierramel, i lost all my check lists. I'm sure they're in one of the bins somewhere. Can I borrow yours?

:D
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

SM

The question is did you turn lemons into lemonade and use both pads?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not like we were gonna starve or freeze..

Marks "kitchen":
Saddlebag Lk 2010 009.jpg
Kitchen with an amazing view!!

We did a pasta dish that night.. before the storm hit.. Mark, you are not an idiot.. We had enough fuel and fleece to stay very warm.. Things happen, and you adjust..

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Almost There......
Any particular issue? I have zillions of dog-eared copies, cataloged by year. Obsessive Compulsive on a Grand Scale. :p
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."