Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
flyfishinpacker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

Post by flyfishinpacker »

Hey guys, just got back from a ten dayer through the western sierras. What a trip. I had a 60 pound pack and covered around 65 miles .Heres some pictures of the area i was hiking through. Can anyone guess where it is?

It was an amazing trip and the fishing was great. Hot flies for the trip were ehc #16 and olive streamers. The best part of this trip was that i had music the whole time. If anyone has ever been out for ten days, they know what I am talking about. I bought this solar powered ipod charger and speaker that saved me at night around the fire. The speaker sounded pretty good and it was easy to use. I would charge it in the sun while i fished and then play it for hours around the campfire. I also got a really cool camera case to carry my camera and keep it from getting wet. heres the website if anyone is interested, they have some pretty cool camping electronics.

Hope you guys
Last edited by ERIC on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nice posts...but registering and viewing the rules should have informed you of our policy on SPAM.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking fly fishing the sierras for ten days

Post by maverick »

Hello Flyfishinpacker

Welcome to HST, and thank you for posting, but I cannot play along since your
wearing a Yankee's hat, and we may meet up in the World Series, after we take
care of the Phillie's.
Go Giants!
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Hey flyfishinpacker ... call me old school, but it's only been recently that I've started seeing (and reading about) people backpacking with [electronic] music. To me that's like the antithesis of my reasons for being on the backcountry. I go out there to experience the wilderness, connect with the earth/universe/nature, and to hear nature (or, even better, absolute silence)...

I'm curious what motivates wilderness travel for those wanting tunes along the way.

Could you please help enlighten us (old-schoolers?)? :)

p.s. the only area I can think of that seems familiar based on your photos is the John Muir Wilderness, east of Bear Diversion, near Florence Lake.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Whether music in the backcountry is good for me or not, I believe, is irrelevant. If it's good for you I'm all for it. There's nothing like a great 10 day backcountry backpacking trip. Some people might think old school shouldn't include fishing. I always went fishing and that's what worked for me. You are one of the good guys. Virtually all of us here are. Some of us forget this at times. Great trip and good for you and your music.
Last edited by Cross Country on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

jthomascarter wrote:Whether music in the backcountry is good for me or not, I believe, is irrelevant. If it's good for you I'm all for it. There's nothing like a great 10 day backcountry backpacking trip. Some people might think old school shouldn't include fishing. I always went fishing and that's what worked for me. You're are one of the good guys. Virtually all of us here are. Some of us forget this at times. Great trip and good for you and your music.
oh, I wasn't criticizing the music either ... I don't care if people listen to music with their ear buds. I'm just curious about it since that's the very kind of things some of us go to the woods to get away from :). If it works for you, all the power to you!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I've been on long solo trips and see why someone brings music for evenings. I definitely do not think music on the trail is appropriate, but evenings can get long, particularly in Fall so music helps when you do not want to go to sleep at 6PM! I think music at night is no different than bringing a book to read at night. I personally do neither, just because I am obsessive about a light pack and the extra weight prevents me from taking either books or electronics. If someone comes up with a 2 oz. book or music gaget, I would take it. But if I had music, it would be classical. I can see me sitting at sunset at a spectacular mountain site listening to Bethoven (sorry I cannot spell). I suspect the poster, being younger, was listening to much more modern music! I also think even if you have music, you should still schedule a few nights for silence and really listen to the sounds of the wilderness. I do not see this as an "either" "or" issue. You can do both old school and new school.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Wandering Daisy wrote:If someone comes up with a 2 oz. book or music gaget, I would take it. But if I had music, it would be classical. I can see me sitting at sunset at a spectacular mountain site listening to Bethoven (sorry I cannot spell).
I have a couple of different MP3 players, both about 2 oz with battery (they take 1AAA each). One battery will give you about 15 hours of symphonies and cantatas. only about $25.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I definitely do not think music on the trail is appropriate, but evenings can get long...
may i ask why?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I won't call it inappropriate, but would never use one myself either.
To me part of the wilderness experience is hearing the sounds around me, which puts
me in tune with my surroundings.
I have lost count of how many times I have come up on someone with a headset on
to pass them, and startled the heck out of them, some even jumped off the trail
almost losing there balance, and falling if I had not grabbed them.
Also if some animal would be near by I would never have a chance to hear it, or
a small hidden falls/cascade beyond some trees would be missed if I had a been listening
to music.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

this thread was more a TR. There was another thread on music, but i can't find it..

BTW, nice fish..

Personally, I agree with Mav.. I also get tired of having to repeat myself to fellow hikers because they have an ipod stuck in their ears on the trail.. Cant even hear the pikas screaming at you or the birds screeching at you..

In the tent, ok..