hiker caught in last week's snowstorm

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: hiker caught in last week's snowstorm

Post by mokelumnekid »

Why does this have to happen? I'm so cowardly- I usually bring the whole kit-n-caboodle year round. That's why when you good people have intense debates about how light one can go, I'm like- gulp- if I tell ya what I bring you'll laugh me otta here! But in the end it is about taking responsibility for one's self.

Point being that I've had my sorry butt whupped by weather in the Cascades, Winds, Andes, Alps, etc. so many times- I bring it all. The four season tent, rain suit, umbrella, elephant gun and even a canary in a cage! In August! Sure old gramps here can't move fast, but no matter what, I'm usually snug as a bug. \:D/
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

mokelumnekid;
I too tend to bring the whole arsenal, whether out for two nights or a week. Although I do not own a 4 season tent, I always carry a 3 season tent, and rain gear, and extra warm clothes, and extra food, and plenty of fuel, and ........ you get the idea. Speed and distance records will not be set by this guy.
I have run into adverse weather a few times in the Sierra, but never been in any real danger, because if necessary, I would be able to hunker down for at least a few days, to wait out the weather. And in the end, I am usually quite comfortable, although somewhat heavy in my pack weight. But it is always better to plan for the worst and hope for the best, rather than assuming that everything will be alright.
Make use of all the forecasting tools available, and plan appropriately.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

It strikes me that this sort of overdue incident is an excellent reason for carrying a SPOT. One would agree in advance with the "backup team" that the "help" button (as opposed to the "911" button) means "I'm in trouble but I can get myself out; don't call the rangers yet, but thing's aren't going as planned." Then, when the weather closes in, hit it, and then send a string of OK's (or more "helps" depending on the agreement) as you make your way to the nearest trailhead.
—B²
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

I've always used an external frame pack; I'm pretty sure these newfangled "internal frame" doohickies are just a fad.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

"mokelumnekid" I usually bring the whole thing. if I tell ya what I bring you'll laugh me otta here! But in the end it is about taking responsibility for one's self."

I bring it all. The four season tent, gore-tex, gaiters, 10 degree bag, down jacket, 4 season tights, wool hat, sox and gloves, and a sheet of ty-vek.
I've been caught out too many times in extreme weather at the higher elevations. One year (long ago) I was caught in a two day snow storm, in mid-June, near Vogelsang. The main problem I had in that, was having to keep chasing away a bear who wanted the food I was having to stay inside with in my tent. (no bear canisters back then)
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sierramel wrote " The main problem I had in that, was having to keep chasing
away a bear who wanted the food I was having to stay inside with in my tent"
(no bear canisters back then)".
You must have had a really fun night chasing that bear off every couple of
minutes.
I was camped at 1000 Is Lake, and this couple must have had food in the tent
because starting at 10 pm, and continuing on till at least 2 am, I finally fell
asleep, the bear came back every 15 min's, the yelling, and screaming began.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Guess we ought to start a frame thread...grin. My pack and backup pack are both internals...less than 3lb each. But, I would carry an external if I could get one comfortable enough and light enough...I loved my old kelty. The last kelty I sold which wasn't that long ago just rested the bar on my lower back no matter what I did with the waist belt. Also, I do do so much off trail that my external did get caught a time or 2 on rocks and almost throw me....still they are so convenient...all those pockets outside etc...
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Maverick...
Picture this: Single wall, 4 season, one person tent - very small vestibule. Large bear.
All night long - flashlight on, playing cassette tape recorder, max volumne, and talking to myself in the meantime. Change batteries.
Bear returns every 1/2 hour or so during nights. Pops jaws outside waiting for me to fall asleep and tent to get dark. Tough luck, bear.
Day 3 snow stops, and I run like hell all the way down to Merced Lake where bear boxes are and sleep for 2 days.

I carried an internal frame pack as soon as they started making them. Short, female, low center of gravity.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Another group of hikers thinking they were going to do Whitney as a dayhike. Will be interesting to see what kind of gear they were carrying. Had to be light to do so, thus if they are in the stone shelter, must be miserably cold.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/articl ... 8/1002/rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

I am also wondering what kind of gear they had with them.

I was on Whitney about 4 years ago after completing the high sierra trail. Even though it was only the end of august, I was shocked how little gear some of these people were carrying. Guess it's "only" a day hike.

Hiking Whitney this time of year without enough gear to spend a couple nights is just plain nuts!