Planning a trip for October?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treadwell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Planning a trip for October?

Post by treadwell »

There have been quite a few inquiries about early October trips on the forum. It can be a wonderful time to go if you watch the weather and are prepared for the cold. These shots were taken on October 5, 2010 between 8500 and 9500 ft.

Just west of the main lodge at Mammoth Mt on the way to Minaret Vista.

Minaret Vista looking NW towards Shadow Lake

Lake Mary

Twin Lakes overlook

Have fun and be prepared!
Last edited by treadwell on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miked
Topix Acquainted

Re: Planning a trip for October?

Post by miked »

Wow, very nice. think trails will still be snowy/icy ? thinking of heading to the tuolumne meadows area
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Hope this doesn't end up as a double post. I have dial-up.
For a pretty close to real-time, webcam look at the Sierras Eastside, (as well as most of the rest of the whole dam# state of California), go to: sierravisionsstock.com
I was up at Minaret Summit this morning - no snow at the Main Lodge at 9,000 feet - and it was relatively "warm", about 51 with light wind - but the Minarets across the San Joaquin were white, as were Ritter and Banner and all the surrounding ridges.
If you plan a hike and want to keep your feet dry (and maybe not get buried by any real snowy incoming cold storms), try to stay below 8,500 feet.
Tuolumne might be OK. Just don't stay too high, for too long.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Nice pix. OK, I am officially "in denial". It can't be "snow time", aka "end of regular backpacking/hiking season" already.](*,)
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

weather is looking pretty nice right now for a mid Oct strike, like this weekend.. last lil' storm should have the fish thinking winter is coming..
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Just got back from a weekend jaunt out of Coldwater. Trails were covered on Friday but dried out by Sunday on our way out. Gorgeous weather really, and rlown is correct, the fish were nutty!! The snow slowed us down and I would say to be wary of northern exposures and elevations over 10,000 feet. If this weather holds without more snow, it is a great time to get out, just pick your route well and avoid sketchy passes, they could have ice and snow on them, Duck did on Sunday on the way out.

We camped at 10k and it didn't even freeze on Saturday night!

If you do go a bit higher up, expect to do some trailfinding with the snow and allow some extra time.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Pray for Indian Summer and a strong La Nina that extends into the Sierra this season.
We got some heavy localized rain for an hour or so yesterday afternoon at 7,000.
Earlier in the day here, it was hovering around 68 degrees and I was sitting out in the yard trying to prolong my tan.
Gorgeous fall weather is back and the leaves are nice.
If you have plans to go "up there", keep a sharp eye out on the satellite picture before you go - we want a STRONG high pressure system sitting off the coast for awhile. But make sure you take the inclement weather gear. I have a very savy backcountry friend that got caught out near Franklin Pass last week and nearly didn't make it out alive.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

I just finished a 4 day trip in emigrant starting from crabtree. The weather was great out there. Nights were in the high 30's and days around 70, with the sky sunny and clear. There was no sign of snow on the trail. The highest elevation I reached was about 8500'. And one more thing, the fishing was great. Trip report in a few days.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

October in the Sierra = Heaven. I also just got back from a 4 day trip. Horseshoe Meadows to Crabtree Lake. Saw not a single person, no mosquitoes, almost no snow, no problems with creek crossings, wonderful weather. And the highest elevation I reached was 13,184!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looking forward to seeing that TR, Q.