Humphrey's Basin TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Humphrey's Basin TR

Post by copeg »

I thought "spying my breakfast" meant you were planning on dining on the marmot.
:lol:

rlown, you are right about the lake beneath 'Star Lake Col'. Skirted the west of Deso (camped near there anyways). Many years ago I hiked around the lake fishing - the beach on the far end of the lake is so cool. Although 'Star Col' seems higher than Carol Col, from what I could see of Carol Col it seemed easier lengthwise if you are approaching from Deso Lake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we spied that beach as well, but it was a big lake (um HUGE) and we were on our way out. We moved our camp twice, after dropping packs, fishing, and saying, "hey, lets move". I've caught some of my biggest fish off those kind of beaches in other such venues.. Seemed to be lots of traffic up there, but not alot of fishermen. Nice use trail in/out.. Sparse fishing unless you know where to be and when, like most lakes up there.

Maybe next year for "star lake col". The scale of that whole area is soooo big, it might take a two week trip to do the area justice..
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Fantastic. One of my favorite areas.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Herm »

rlown;
I'm wondering if you took the usual trail to upper Deso, the one that meanders high above the eastern shore of lower Deso, before mildly ascending the slope that leads to the southern shore of uppper Deso. On my way in (I have been there twice now), I did not notice what you describe as "that hideous pyramid of rock off the main trail below Summit Lk?" Did you take a different ust trail in? As I recall, on my first visit there in 2006, a trail sign marked the use trail. That sign was not present on my recent visit, but the use trail was where I knew it would be.

copeg;
Nice report. The beach that you and rlown refer to would be on the north shore of the lake, correct? From my perspective, that looked like a long hike to get there. You said you have previously hiked around and fished the lake. Some of the areas on the west side looked impassable, unless traversing high above the lake. That beach would be a nice destination, but a sailboat might be the best way to get there.

Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Incredible images, thanks for sharing!
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks folks.
Herm wrote: copeg;
Nice report. The beach that you and rlown refer to would be on the north shore of the lake, correct? From my perspective, that looked like a long hike to get there. You said you have previously hiked around and fished the lake. Some of the areas on the west side looked impassable, unless traversing high above the lake. That beach would be a nice destination, but a sailboat might be the best way to get there.

Herm
Yes, that beach is a ways away (its a big lake). We had passed it on our way up to summit Four Gables. I have a picture laying around somewhere taken from the beach, I'll look for it and if I find it try to remember to post it.
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Copeg-

Great TR on Humphrey Basin! This is a zone that Im considering for next season. Any pointers for this zone? Hows the difficulty? Additionally, perhaps most importantly, hows the fishing in Humphrey Basin? PM me if you'd like - any info is appreciated - Thanks! Happy Fishing!

-Evan
copeg

Post by copeg »

evan wrote:Copeg-

Great TR on Humphrey Basin! This is a zone that Im considering for next season. Any pointers for this zone? Hows the difficulty? Additionally, perhaps most importantly, hows the fishing in Humphrey Basin? PM me if you'd like - any info is appreciated - Thanks! Happy Fishing!

-Evan
Evan
Travel is very easy in the area. In general its gentle and barren terrain. PM sent with more info
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

Wow. Somehow i missed this thread its first time around. Really Beautiful stuff. Thanks.
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Thanks for the info but, unfortunitely, I never received that PM you mentioned.