tehipite to tunemah to ionian - trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: tehipite to tunemah to ionian - trip report

Post by John Dittli »

Really nice shots Paul. It was a trip meeting you out there.

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

thanks john.
same here - unexpected

to me, the pictures are just snapshots - another rock... another tree...lol
i do miss carrying my 4x5. that camera gave some outstanding images. with the point & shoot, i get pretty sloppy as i can just keep popping off image after image cuz there's so much storage. with the large format, i had to be really selective, which in turn, really gets me to hone in on the subject. i sure don't miss carrying a hundred pound pack tho!
Last edited by lostcoyote on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Lostcoyote

You mentioned the heavy weight of the 4x5, you could go in between like a
1DS Mark 3 or 5D 2, and some RRS Pano gear set up, which would allow you to
stitch some photos close to what you would get with your 4x5, at much less weight.
Of coarse you are aware that there are some restrictions with this set up like moving
objects (water, clouds), but I have been using it with a lot of success.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I really like this TR. You write in a concise stile that I like.
The 2 times I went over Finger Pass I went from North to South and I remember thinking just what you said. I was really glad to be going up instead of down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

maverick wrote:Hi Lostcoyote

You mentioned the heavy weight of the 4x5, you could go in between like a
1DS Mark 3 or 5D 2, and some RRS Pano gear set up, which would allow you to
stitch some photos close to what you would get with your 4x5, at much less weight.
Of coarse you are aware that there are some restrictions with this set up like moving
objects (water, clouds), but I have been using it with a lot of success.
ya, i may end up going that way. what advantage does a 1d have over a 5d.
it's a lot more expensive.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

jthomascarter wrote:
The 2 times I went over Finger Pass I went from North to South and I remember thinking just what you said. I was really glad to be going up instead of down.
the picture you posted looks like an eastward view from cathedral lake up to finger col...which connects the goddard creek area to blackcap basin.
the pass i called finger pass (on the east shoulder of finger pk) is actually named blue canyon pass if i remember correctly.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Opps, your right, my mistake. I must have been tired the night I wrote this. If not, maybe I have another excuse.
Last edited by Cross Country on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmurphy
Topix Novice

Re: tehipite to tunemah to ionian - trip report (part ii)

Post by jsmurphy »

lostcoyote wrote:sept 9'th and 10'th
i arrived to an empty crown valley station. can anyone here tell me what it is used for? .
That's Johnson's Cow Camp. A family from the San Joaquin Valley owns it. I stopped by there a few years back with a Scout Troop and they were there having a family reunion. Gave us water and invited us in for supper. Nice folks, but I wouldn't trespass when anyone's there. The old man was packing a large revolver and wondered what we were doing on his property.

Great post and pics.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

'The old man was packing a large revolver and wondered what we were doing on his property."

ahhhhhhhhhhhhha, the old west.

===========================

i remember something funny that occured while i was at tunemah lake.
there were 2 wind currents blowing. the predominant one was blowing from the southwest across the lake. and then there was an opposing current coming up canyon from below.

occasionally, there would be a really strong updraft when the 2 currents met at the outlet of the lake.

on one such gust, i had not secured one of my sleeping pads and the wind scooped it up into onew of those "dust devils" and it made about 3 complete circles getting up to 40 feet in altitude - over the lake, then across the outlet and over the dropoff, then back over the lake again. i thought it would end up heading all the way down to the lower lakes below me but it ended up falling down into the lake near the shoreline. i was just standing there in awe of it's flightpath, circling higher and higher until the wind suddenly stopped and it floated back to earth and into the lake. then the gentle west wind blew it back to the shoreline.
jsmurphy
Topix Novice

Post by jsmurphy »

lost coyote,

Really enjoying your pics.

I'm planning a fishing trip into Tehipite next year about the time you went, early-mid Sep.