Storms in the Sierra coming this week?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Storms in the Sierra coming this week?

Post by lostcoyote »

rlown wrote:Given we're talking about "this week", here's a pointer to a webcam looking west out of Bishop. Um, Not a good time to be up there unless donned in rain gear and a 4 season tent; maybe skiis..

http://bishopweather.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
we sent those on up north (i live in lost angeles) as the tropical weather low was hovering over LA for around 4 days before moving on. it's not a cold front tho but i can sure bring a dusting of snow/hail.

last october, kaweah gap

october 20'th to be exact...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmSXa1ziNE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the video was shot BEFORE all hell broke loose at nightfall.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

You should always be prepared for snow in the Sierras at any time of the year. The worst time for me was at Tower Lake in 1992 on July 4th. It was blizzard for 12 hours straight. Always be prepared.

Texan
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Lots of rain here this morning 10 miles south of Mammoth at Crowley Lake, with snow forcast down to 7,500 feet by tonight at the higher elevations (I imagine above 9 grand).
Here's another camera looking up toward Mammoth Mountain and toward the Minarets (also US 395, and SR 203: http://www.dot.ca.gov./dist9/cctv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

sierramel wrote:Lots of rain here this morning 10 miles south of Mammoth at Crowley Lake, with snow forcast down to 7,500 feet by tonight at the higher elevations (I imagine above 9 grand).
Here's another camera looking up toward Mammoth Mountain and toward the Minarets (also US 395, and SR 203: http://www.dot.ca.gov./dist9/cctv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just heard that Tioga Pass is (temporarily) closed.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Rock slides closing highway 120 between Crane Flat and up to the entrance station into the park west of US 395.
Looks like Sonora Pass is closed for the same reason.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

.....Tired of hearing from me yet? The clouds just lifted a little across Crowley Lake, and the White Mountians across the valley are covered with snow.....
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Just heard a report from a friend up in Lee Vining that the Tioga Road may be closed for a week. Most recent Cal Trans report says the reason is "inclement weather", but they reported "rock slides" earlier this AM.
What? Are we mind readers?
treadwell
Topix Acquainted

Post by treadwell »

Here in Mammoth Lakes, luckily not camping this trip. Rain of varying intensity all day with one bout of thundersnow earlier. Snow covering the tops of the Sherwins. Been here twice this season, twenty degrees colder than normal both times, ugh.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Remember those threads about a month ago about backpacking weather in October? A few of us tossed out sober warnings? Well I'm betting a few will be caught out in current foulness this first week of October wearing shorts and t-shirts after starting out during the warm weather of last week. This is how it happens.
GH-Dave
Topix Acquainted

Post by GH-Dave »

SSSdave wrote:Remember those threads about a month ago about backpacking weather in October? A few of us tossed out sober warnings? Well I'm betting a few will be caught out in current foulness this first week of October wearing shorts and t-shirts after starting out during the warm weather of last week. This is how it happens.
Shortly after my return from my 5-day solo up to Ten Lakes in mid-September I began planning a 3-dayer up to Kibbie Lakes for the first week in October. It's an easy trip for me because it's real close to our home in the mountains. In and out, two nights, three days.

So, the last week in September I checked with weather.com's 10-day forecast for that area and saw that there were supposed to be scattered thunderstorms beginning Wednesday, Oct. 6, which was right in the middle of when I wanted to be up there. So, I decided right then and there to forget about that particular outing.

Then, on Saturday, Oct. 2, we had some serious clouding up at home, and by nighttime we were in the middle of one of the most spectacular thunder/lightning storms I've ever been in. The weather people were a little off on the start of the storm, but not the severity.

We live in the mountains at 3,400 feet about 30 minutes from the Big Oak Flat entrance to YNP, so our weather is a good indication of what it will be like higher up. It looked real ugly.

As the weather closed in here at home, and I could see the massive thunder cloud buildup over the Clark Range, I was praying that nobody was going to get caught out in that mess at higher elevation. There are very few things that scare me. But, lightning is real high on the list.

It will be interesting to hear reports as anybody who was out there comes back in.

Dave