Welcome Obiwan Canoli

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sierramel
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Welcome Obiwan Canoli

Post by sierramel »

Honey...
You know me, I'm always up for another (ah-hem). I had some thoughts as to somethin' on the "easy" side for both you and me in case I don't get my back surgery out of the way this year (now mind you this is just my first thought - I have others).
The Piute Pass Trail, out of North Lake (and Bishop) starts high up, has a small campground at the base, has lakes for fishing, and it isn't far to the top of Piute Pass. It's also close to my house - always a plus since I have drag a llama and trailer along.
Give me some input when you have time. Maybe we can interest some of the other geezers from the Trail Talk group, and Topix.....?
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

It would be very nice to organize another palooza hike, or rama, or whatever you want to name it….Reunionpalooza sounds perfect. I recently spent a night at John and Mel’s place. Hanging out around the fire ring, overlooking Lake Crowley, catching up, downing a few cold ones. Mel looks great!!! She is sweeter than the dew on a honeysuckle vine. And John is interesting as always. I really enjoy visiting with John. Anyway, add a dozen or so tents to the front yard and it would have been just like old times….back in the TT days….hiking with the JMT authority…..Sierra Mel style!

I just went over Piute Pass from North Lake this year. But it is an easy pass and the fishing is really good… You two figure it out and please keep in touch. I’m in.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Why Flip.. You make me blush.
Maybe we could do a Reunionaplooza - Geezer hike. Mind you not everyone is a geezer yet - just speaking for myself.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

....Uh...... I forgot - We could do it like the "old days" when we did the Trail Talk hikes.
Even though we don't have as much completely flat space available in the yard as we used to, everybody could camp out in the yard the night before and have a Bar-bque. We still have loads of parking!
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

I like that idea, Mel. And thanks for the suggested venues... Gonna study my maps, and am excited to get something together, therapy permitting... or should I say recovery?

In any event, I did not post anything here, but if you think it would reel in some who've moved on from TT, then happy to do so...
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

You bet, Darlin"!
Hey, I heard you say you'd heard from OldTimer? Is he lurking around here, somewhere?
HEY, OLDTIMER! ARE YOU OUT THERE?!
Let's get this party started!!
MEL
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

As usual, Mel forgets to add:
See if anybody can scare up Solitary Hiker too. I hear he's been spotted around here on occasion.
We could also invite anyone else who we know from TOPIX by sight or reputation.
ERIC (you listening, ERIC ?), one of our friendly moderators has stayed here at the house in the past, and Snownympth who I just ran into recently, would be most welcome.
That is, if they were so inclined.
I'd be happy to have to have the gang around again.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Obi, Dear....
I found my way back into TT and saw all the posts. Good Work! I added one, very long one, of my own trying to give a "short" rundown of my disappearance, and suggesting a plan to EVERYone for our Reunion-geezer-Palooza, next summer.
It was SO nice to see so many people remember me in a - fond - way.
Boy, you and I have some planning to do. Break out your canning jars, I'm looking forward to some of your great blackberry jam!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I would love to join the group hike! I don't backpack anymore, but I could hike in for the day and hike out at night. :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

SN..
Didn't know you weren't backpacking anymore?
I had another idea for a base camp venue for the get together (other than Reds'). North Lake would always be nice. Good fishing lake (North Lake itself) near the campground, really nice campground at the trailhead (as I'm sure you've been there), and a relatively short hike to the lakes below Puite Pass.
Depending on Obi's condition next summer, and me with Joppa, I think even I could do that.