Humphrey's Basin TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Humphrey's Basin TR

Post by copeg »

Humphrey's Basin, 9/25/10-9/27/10

There's only an hour difference between 4am and 5am, but my spinning head let me know that hour is priceless. I'd like to think that I wouldn't have hurt so much hiking up Piute Pass if I slept another 20 minutes - arguing with myself on the drive up - but one side had won that argument as soon as my feet hit the trail. It had been many months since the last time I departed a trailhead in the Sierra, and I was loving every step. Playing leap frog with a few other hikers on the trail, it was fun progress up to the Pass, where I took some time to rest and relax.

At first sight of Lower Desolation Lake, my mind was a mile ahead of my body. The early wake up and sea level to 11k were working against me. Every step seemed like ten. Then every step like a hundred. Just before every step felt like a thousand I arrived - Desolation Lake. It had been years since my last visit, but it seemed exactly the same. Windy, desolate, cold, and the seagulls a strange sight floating around the lake. Another backpacker passed by a short while later. David was his name.

Maybe I was moving slow, or maybe it was the short days, but by the time camp was set up the sun was already setting. With dinner in hand I was down by the lake taking photos and enjoying the view. David was there to join me, and later invited me over for some tea. Dang he makes some good berry tea, and with my addition of schnapps, it made for the perfect drink as we sat back and talked Sierra.

I never really slept. And the noises beyond my tent wall didn't help. Mice, unknown growls, and birds blazing past. My attempts to sleep were met with more tossing and turning. The next morning I woke up as slowly as I drank my coffee. A marmot kept me company, inspecting my every move. David stopped by to say his farewell as he continued his journey.

My goal was to hike towards Puppet Lake and viscinity. Packed up, it was fun taking my time scrambling towards the ridgeline separating Humphrey's basin and the areas beyond. I reached a small ridge, overshooting Carol Col which I could see in the distance. Deciding to explore another low point of the ridge to the north, I stopped in my tracks as I passed a small lake, fully circular, with views all around. I fell in love. It seemed hard to depart. I did finally reached the col, but couldn't take my mind off that lake. Another party arrived, and they were at the bottom of the other side before I decided to hike back down and enjoy Humphrey's basin a bit more. Dropping much of my gear at a small camp area, I headed down to Desolation Lake for some fishing and relaxation, before returning to camp for dinner and sunset.

I don't know what it is, but my body likes early wake up calls. At 5am the decision was made to hike up towards the col to enjoy the sunrise. The moon overpowered my headlamp, so I turned it off to climb in the soft and gentle moonlight. Something special watching the sunrise from high up; with the expansive view, deafening silence, and strong earth shadow. I spent what felt like forever up there, exploring and enjoying, before heading back down to camp for breakfast. As always seems to be the case, the trip was too short. I was packed up and trying to delay my hike back out any which way.

Easy to fall in love with this little area

Spying my breakfast

Mount Humphrey's

Twilight

A few feet from camp

Sunrise on top un-named(?) col

More sunrise - one of the better 'earth shadow's I've seen
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Humphrey's Basin TR

Post by maverick »

Very nice, I have been waiting for your TR.
Really like the "Twilight", and the "A few feet from camp" photo's!
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Herm »

Nice report, thanks for posting. That looks like a fine dot of a little lake. Did you catch any fish? Although I was just there in mid-September, this makes me want to go back to explore more of Humphreys Basin. Definitely on the charts again next year.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

those are some really nice shots - especially the earth shadow one at the end - very nice & soothing
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks folks!
Mav, still waiting for yours ;)
Herm, didn't catch any (didn't try too hard though). Could see them tail my lure's but they were quite picky.
lostcoyote, that was possibly one of the more intense shadow's I've seen, and being up that high could see it from horizon to horizon.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Copeg writes "Mav, still waiting for yours".
Been really busy, and as you know taking pic's in raw takes a little time to develop
correctly, but it should be ready by next week some time.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Incredible shots, thanks.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So.. now i'm a little intrested. Did you head up the Humphrey's Basin use trail, marked by that hideous pyramid of rock off the main trail below Summit Lk? That would have taken you a little East smack dab into the middle of the southern edge of Deso..

That round lake you camped at is on the bench below what I'll call the Star Lake col for the lack of a better reference (guessing, but it looks right for your subsequent pics). There was another group that we ran into that used that route over, rather than Carol col. Did you skirt west around Deso or East? betting west..

We had a Pesky Marmot as well guarding us at night on the South side of Deso. Glad to finally see some of them again, as well as the Pika..

Very nice pics. you put me to shame.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I thought "spying my breakfast" meant you were planning on dining on the marmot.

Lovely sunrise and sunset photos.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

These are very nice photos... they make me want to be there...