Kaweah Basin questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kaweah Basin questions

Post by copeg »

Thanks for returning and posting the report! Judging by your report, I think I enjoyed 'Picket Guard Lake' as much as you did. What a gem (where fish would jump a few feet out of the water just to have a shot at a lure). Bummer there aren't pics, but a good read nonethess.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

pilgrim2 wrote:Sorry, rlown, no pictures. Neither of us has developed any skill with photography and we did not bother to bring cameras along. There are so many stunning photos of the area by Maverick and others, we left the photo business to those who know what they are doing.

We were not actively looking for trout, but at Picket Guard Lake, in the late afternoon and evening, many trout were feeding and breaking the surface. It's difficult to say anything about the size of the fish.

Pilgrim
Yes, thank you for the report!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
mattherrington
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mattherrington »

This is the goldmine of info I've been looking for. trekking w/ my bro along the HST this August and I have no intention of going all the way down Big Arroyo just to trudge back up the river. I've got Secor's book but otherwise was flying blind and had no idea how well reputed the area was. THANK YOU ALL...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mattherrington

Welcome to HST!
Just a friendly reminder neither Pants Pass, Pyra-Queen Col, or Kaweah Pass should
not be attempted without any prior cross country traveling experience.
All three are gnarly cross country passes with Pants Pass being extremely steep, Kaweah
Pass having nasty loose rock on its northern side, and Pyra-Queen having lots of scree
on its western, and a long rocky section on its eastern side into the basin.
Sure it is one of the prettiest places in SEKI, but it is also one of the most isolated
because of the fact it is surrounded by a massive wall which makes entry into the
basin difficult.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mattherrington
Topix Acquainted

Post by mattherrington »

Thanks Mav!

Just searching for conditions and saw my own post. We're both well seasoned I'm just getting around to being social and searching out conditions and route ideas.

That being said, of the three the path of least resistance (risk) is where I like to go with a pack. Pyra Queen looks the most appealing (along with a possible side trip up the SW face of Kaweah Queen) but I'm concerned about late season conditions, particularly with getting to the top dry and then having to descend in snow/ice down the shelf on the east side into the the big stuff. Kaweah pass proper is not happening per what I've read as it sounds like ankle turning misery (and it's further S than I'd like to go) and why go over pants when pyra queen is easier.

Clearly you're familiar. What's your take on late season conditions at PQ? Ie. If there is scattered snow at lake 11,682 and in the shade of Black Kaweah does anything typically still hang on the other side? Looking up from 9 Lakes Basin is where we'll have to pull the trigger between the two. We're a month out but conditions look crappy and i don't even like carrying poles, much less spikes and an ice axe. Thanks again for looking out. Cheers!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mattherrington wrote "If there is scattered snow at lake 11,682 and in the shade
of Black Kaweah does anything typically still hang on the other side?

Yes there usually is some snow, and this year there may be a little more, but nothing
to difficult to get around.

" Looking up from 9 Lakes Basin is where we'll have to pull the trigger between the two."

You cannot see QPC from where you can see Pants, also Lake 11682 sits up on a bench
over 900 ft higher than the lake at the bottom of Pants Pass, which you have to climb
up to see, so you will not be able to make a determination from down from the lower
part of 9 Lakes Basin.
Also the chute you have to climb at the top of the ridge, after climbing the slope
starting from Lake 11682 is only visible once you get to it.
Here is a shot of smaller lake just below Lake 11682 with the sandy part in the middle
of the ridge leading up to the small chute (PQC).
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/v20/p700907979-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, here some TR's that have close ups of the pass from both sides:
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... td212.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.tumtum.com/climbing/trips/Si ... art2.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by maverick on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: bold letter; added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mattherrington
Topix Acquainted

Post by mattherrington »

Thanks Mav. Hope the heat wave coming/returning next week puts a dent in it.

One more great TR with both sides and a HD panoramic movie from the pass:
http://www.markscheeff.com/etc/travels/ ... king_2005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Post by Coops »

The snow patch on the west side of Pyra Queen Col will be lingering this year. I went over in August last year and the snow towards the top of the pass was still quite firmand slick in the morning. If you're not hiking with microspikes, I would reccommend going over the col a little later in the morning to allow that snow slope to soften. There is a great ramp that leads to the northern notch in the col (if crossing from the west). This seems to be the better crossing of the col. This was on a loop that included Tablelands, Big Bird Lake, Josephine Lake, Colby Lake, Milestone summit, Colby Pass, Red Spur lakes, and ultimately Redwood Meadow Grove before returning back to Lodgepole.