Skyline to Sea

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Skyline to Sea

Post by AlmostThere »

I reserved six spots for a leisurely trip down the Skyline to Sea trail (Santa Cruz mountains) and will be heading out from the Fresno area early Sunday (9/12) to meet one other person and set up the car shuttle. We had others coming, but they dropped out due to family complications and now we have four spots open. The cost is the same no matter how many people are going so if others come it only gets cheaper... We are spending three nights on the trail and coming out Wednesday morning at the beach, leaving us some time to visit the Down Works in Santa Cruz (a wonderful backpacking store owned by backpackers), do some sightseeing, etc. before moving on home.

Costs we will split are camping fees (15 per night) and parking fees (30 per car). We can leave additional cars parked in town and use a single car at each end of the trail for shuttling. First day will be TH to Waterman Gap, about 6-7 miles, second day about 10 miles to Jay Trail Camp in Big Basin, third day to Twin Redwoods for another 10 miles, and the following morning a leisurely 2 miles to the beach. If we are making good time I plan a few side trips such as Berry Creek Falls.

Send me a message if you are interested... Forecasts for that area are putting night temps in the 50F range (nice and warm) with clear skies and daytime temps in the 70s.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Skyline to Sea

Post by maverick »

Very nice hike that I have done as a long day hike, and as an overnighter before.
I personally would prefer to do it in the Spring because of the flowers, and especially
Berry Creek Falls, best waterfalls in the Bay Area, is at its very best!