Big Pine Lakes Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bud
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Big Pine Lakes Question

Post by Bud »

I want to take my wife this weekend on Oct 1st to see the turquoise water in Big Pine Lakes. Can someone tell me if I need a get a wilderness permit? If so can i get it in advance or at the ranger station? Also, what is the temperature right now at the lake? Do I need to bring to a tent? Thanks very much.

Bud
sierramel
Founding Member

Re: Big Pine Lakes Question

Post by sierramel »

Which Big Pine Lakes?
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Oh..Those Big Pine Lakes... In the Palisades.....
No permit is required for an overnight stay. Type into Google: Big Pine Lakes Wilderness Permits.
That's what it said - "No permit required".
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

...Sorry about that...back up, back up..
Well shut my mouth...
Big Pine lakes aren't listed in the Inyo Nat.l Forest trailhead quota lists. Most of the trails in this area require a permit for an ovenight stay - usually obtained out of the closest ranger station to your destination (until Nov. 1st) - in this case, for you, it would probably be the White Mountain Ranger Station down in Bishop on north Main St. - US 395 (next door to the old K-mart).
Check the Inyo National Forest website - and it will list a phone # for the office down there.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

I should learn to read a post all the way through instead of partway and looking like an idiot.
You don't HAVE to take a tent - but the temps at night are below freezing right now at that elevation.
You might be a little more comfortable in a tent - it'll be warmer in one - but then you'll also have your wife to snuggle up with! ;)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Bud

Welcome to HST!
Yes, you need a permit for an overnight stay, and yes, take a tent, your wife will
feel much happier if the temps drop, unless she's been doing this a long time and
can handle it.
It was nice this weekend at 10500, but temps did drop to the low 30's one night, and
who knows what next weekend will bring.
3 weeks ago when that Alaskan Low came through it was in the 20's, windy, and
snow, not a good combo if your trying to introduce her to backpacking.
Nothing will turn a new backpacker off faster than bad weather or mosquitos from
going out again.
Bud
Topix Novice

Post by Bud »

Thanks for the reply guys. Forgot to mention but I will be taking my three year old boy along as well. My wife insist we bring him along so what can I do. I will bring a tent for the wife and kid. I was worry the temp might drop to the 20 but low 30 should be ok for the boy. Sorry but you mention mosquitoes so have to ask. Is there a lot of them at this late in the year? Thanks again.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

No more skeetrz to worry about, and absolutely yes on the tent if your taking you
son along.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

It could go down to 20. This weekend never went below the high 20's at 12,000, but it was an incredibly warm weekend. A cooler front is supposed to move in for next weekend.
Bud
Topix Novice

Post by Bud »

ok great thanks very much.