Kinves?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kinves?

Post by markskor »

Originally I carried a folding Buck...(maybe 30 years ago) with its leather case...perhaps it was a holdover from my Eagle Scout upbringing...now long time lost or misplaced. Today I only carry the smallest Swiss Army knife - the one with the scissors, tied with a light, 1 foot cord to hemostats....all part of my well-used fishing rig. I never saw the need for anything else.

Recently, while fishing with my nemesis OldRanger, he somehow enticed a 3-pound 'Bow to take a Z-Ray at Saddlebag...how? - (must have been a fluke or some sort of a Jonestown trout suicide pact) and since I pride myself in knowing how to cook these Lunkers in the backcountry...(He only eats Wasabi Peas and peanuts as he reported/verified in an earlier thread), I had to clean them first.

I had no problem gutting and slicing the giant into 3, pan-sized chunks using only the smaller blade.
FYI, the hemostats also double as a sewing accessory, being able to assist in pulling a needle and thread through heavy material. For me, anything larger is indeed...as reported above - just ballast.
Mountainman who swims with trout
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I ran across this today and thought someone might be interested. Nice little Swiss Army knife with a pen and flashlight, $23.

http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/Disp ... tom%2BLink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I was almost interested in that knife since I hadn't bought any outdoor gear in 3 days (last purchase a new pair of backcountry skis, less than half price from Sierra Trading Post) but noticed it has that damn flimsy spring in the scissors that always breaks in two seasons. Generally my little knives last about 3 seasons before I lose them.

As I remember it I cleaned the fish but Mark cut it up into 3 remarkably equal chunks for the 3 of us and then did his magic with the seasoning and cooking. :nod:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This is the combo i carry:
001.JPG
I too, had one of those scissor contraptions on a previous knife. It was too flimsy to work well with the moleskin. The Hemostat i carry has a scissor blade built in that works fantastic for moleskin, or cutting line or anything else. I've carried these for about 20 years now. Note i don't lose them like some people from Oregon, maybe due to the lanyard. :lol: The hemo's only come out during fishing and clip snuggly to my pants for easy access.

If i could repurpose the corkscrew, which serves absolutely no purpose in the backcountry, i would.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nevadasmith
Topix Acquainted

Post by nevadasmith »

I have an old 6" straight blade Buck knife that I have had since the mid 70's & will continue
to bring it along on my pack trips. It comes in handy for lots of things, so far no bears have
jumped on Me but If one did, I would rather have a descent sized knife than a little red
folding knife with a cross on it.
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bandito »

What do you mean? I carry this knife with me everywhere!

:D
freezig
Topix Novice

Post by freezig »

I take along this knife: http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=108 It's cheap, light, surgical steel sharp and holds a great edge.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

rlown wrote:hmm. i've never seen a real backpacker carry a knife like that. The rant might be a bit overblown.
Anyone who does carry one of those either doesn't get 2 miles from their truck, or know's of a great lake with really, really big fish.
Hmmm, the first guy I saw when I was going in last week out of Hetch Hetchy (he was heading out, hiking solo) had a big knife like that and he was coming from Vernon Lake where there are HOGS!!! Maybe not necessary I'll agree, but this person seemed like a "real backpacker" to me and Vernon is 12 miles in.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

cmon4day wrote:
rlown wrote:hmm. i've never seen a real backpacker carry a knife like that. The rant might be a bit overblown.
Anyone who does carry one of those either doesn't get 2 miles from their truck, or know's of a great lake with really, really big fish.
Hmmm, the first guy I saw when I was going in last week out of Hetch Hetchy (he was heading out, hiking solo) had a big knife like that and he was coming from Vernon Lake where there are HOGS!!! Maybe not necessary I'll agree, but this person seemed like a "real backpacker" to me and Vernon is 12 miles in.
Nice there are hogs there, but you don't need a 6" blade to deal with them. Still, can someone explain why they need a 6" blade in the backcountry? Can't be a bear, because, well, why? A rock is enough. Not like it's Dan'l boone time up there..
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Balzaccom-
I have two knives and a mini multi tool. The knives are made by CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Took), GREAT knives - durable and holds good sharp edges. They're both, folding models, approx 3" in length; ones a standard straight edge blade the other a combination, straight and seraded. Love 'em both, recommed CRKT to ANYONE! The mini multi tool is made by Leathermen (surprise surprise) but, its GREAT. Use it primarily for snipping fishing line, other fishing applications and various repair/maintanence jobs while in the backcountry. I do however want a fixed blade CRKT approx 5" in length- just 'cuz (if anything just to satisfy my inner Ramdo - LOL!)! I do however agree that the huge machetties are overkill! Someone else said something to the effect of "if a bear is charging you, run like hell" or my favorite "you've got one knife, the bear has nine more knives (claws) lol!
-Evan