tehipite to tunemah to ionian - trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: tehipite to tunemah to ionian - trip report

Post by lostcoyote »

PatrickQuin wrote:Thanks for all the great photos. Inspiring to say the least... This post is the first that has ever made me seriously consider an extended trip without my 4 legged companion. Good on ya!

thanks... and i will be writing up the final part iii tonite when i get home. it covers western ionian basin pretty good.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Add me to the chorus of praise. These are some places I've never been but would like to. It's great to have a road map like this.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

tehipite to tunemah to ionian - trip report (part iii of iii

Post by lostcoyote »

sept 14'th

waking up early for no good reason, i lazed around lake 10280' for awhile taking pictures of finger peak reflected in this lake.

i had all the time in the world today cuz i was only going to take a short day to get up the goddard creek valley to lake 10232' (formerly lake 10212) and take another trip down memory lane. i had been in goddard creek five times before and each time, it was if i was walking though a beautiful valley as if i were in the heavens.

gathering up my gear, it wasn't long before i passed by an area where i had made a spectacular photograph back in 1990 with my 4x5 large format camera (posted in a previous post above) but i could not find the exact location. i believe i went a little too low in elevation and gave up looking for the exact trees after 15 minutes of backtracking. i wanted to see how the trees and shrubs had changed over the course of 20 years - didn't matter tho.

soon after that, i found myself in the most beautiful meadows in which goddard creek flows through just below lake 10232'. i spent a good 45 minutes just popping off frame after frame (easy to do with a point and shoot camera.)

satisfied i got the shot i wanted, i arrived at the lake and set up my camp. i enjoyed yet another bath in the relatively warm waters and was even greeted by trout that would come within feet of my legs if i simply stood still. fishing has always been great here and even though i did not have fishing gear this time, i'd expect fishing to be just as good this time around.

sept 15'th to sept 16'th

the next morning, lake 10232's surface turned to glass and i did some compositions of the reflection. i remember back in the early 90's when we were here during a rather intense thunderstorm. all of the creeks coming in from ionian and off the ragged spur had flash flooded. my friends tent got waterlogged and he bailed into mine. the next morning, we hiked back up to the end of the lake where the cliff dives into the lake just to see the waterfall of godadrd creek make its plunge. it was loud up close inside that gully.

the climb into ionian basin went rather quickly. first, you skirt around the west side of the lake (you can skirt the east side but your boots will fill up with talus) and then begin to climb up to an elevation just above the cliffs. from there, you can begin to traverse across and upward to meet back up with goddard creek where it exits southwest ionian.

(note, for reference, what i call ionian basin is more than what is called ionian basin on the maps. on the maps, ionian basin begins at the large lakes 11837' and 11592' southwest of mt solomons and ends at lake 11828' southwest of the black giant. it includes chasm lake..... but i also consider lakes 11951' and 11818' southeast of goddard, scylla, the three sirens, and charibdis to be part of ionian basin - maybe i should call the latter ionian basin west?)

anyway, i had made it into the southern part of the basin well before midday and saw a really neat pinkish colored rock vein. perhaps some of you can identify the mineral?

skirting around the west side of lower lake 11818' (actually like a twin lake seperated in elevation just by a foot or two) i set up camp for the day and spent the rest of the day just goofing off and daydreaming. later in the day, i was surprised to see two other guys headed towards me. i had not seen anyone since i left blackcap basin and when they finally looked up and saw me, i saw the surprise in their eyes when they realized they wouldn't have the place to their own as well. as it turned out, we camped near each other between the two lakes and shared a few stories. one of the guys is a member here, john dittli, and his backpacking companion, rob, had just come over echo col. i couldn't believe that when they told me where they came from for the day... for in comparison, i travel at a snails pace when off trail. they were both headed to tunemah.

anyway, i popped off a few pictures before and at sunset as usual including the lake, lichen, and other stuff:

sunrise was spectacular, as the lower portion of this lake has a fantastic view back towards finger peak. after sunrise, i took a short dayhike to the backend of long lake 11951' and popped off a few shots there as well:

getting back to camp, i gathered up my backpack and continued on for another tremendously long day (~1.5 miles) to what i call "scylla lake" right at the north base of scylla. i really had to search around for a suitable place to pitch my tent, as everything around was really rocky including the grassy sections. at least i satisfied the 100 foot-away-from-water rule this time around.

as usual, i got busy around sunset again...

and then again at sunrise (over charybdis)

sept 17'th

at sunrise, i once again smelled smoke. "oh just great" + a few choice words i said to myself. the smoke retrogrades during the nite and then when the sun gets things warming up, it begins it's upcanyon flow once again. during the retrograde, the smoke can easiliy access the middle fork split and ends up coming up tehipite/simpson and eventually, north through goddard creek and enchanted gorge.

by the time i hiked up and over to lake 11592' the smoke was really thick. so thick, i could barely see the face of charbydis and could not see very far down the enchanted gorge. i was originally going to head down to chasm lake and then out via black giant pass but i was really getting tired of all this smoke.... so i changed course and headed north over solomons pass once again to meet up with the muir trail on the other side. too bad, cuz i had never been over black giant pass - always came into ionian from solomons from north to south. maybe next time, i will have no smoke and storm clouds. all of these blue sky and/or smokey days make for boring photos anyway.

coming down the pass was tricker than going up because the north side of solomons pass has some rather loose rock and talus (or snowfields) and this time around, i managed to kick off a minor rock and talus slide. anyway, i got back to the trail and then my pace began to really accelerate. it wasn't long before i arrived at the muir hut.

the smoke even filtered over solomons pass and ended up infiltrating into the basin containing wanda lake. a half hour later, i ended up at helen lake and called it a day

sept 18'th to sept 19'th

these days mark the end of my journey. simply follow the trail on down to the leconte ranger station and then back out over bishop pass. at this point in time, i was thinking of a nice soft bed, a great shower and some meat and fresh veggies. anyway, here are a few parting shots. thanks for reading my report. it was fun.

one of many frogs in upper leconte canyon (lake 10820')

sharktooth rock - a great campsite at about the 9400' level

big pete meadow

more rocks...

pinemat manzanita in it's fall uniform of red

and last but not least, dusy basin, the palisades, and more forest fire smoke.

it was a really windy last day - gusty winds up on top of bishop pass guessing to be between 50-70mph gusts.

the full set of pictures may be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12579619@N ... 001457536/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or if you prefer, a slideshow here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12579619@N ... 7536/show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by lostcoyote on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

This is exactly the sort of hike I like -- weeks in remote areas of the backcountry. It seems today the norm is a long weekend hike, usually to "bag" a peak, and that doesn't satisfy me. Your itinerary -- Tehipite, Goddard Creek, Blackcap Basin, and Ionion Basin -- includes some of the most scenic areas in the Sierras, all hard to get to and therefore seldom visited.

Great trip report!!

Mike
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Coyote - nice TR, Thanks! A quick question regarding your photos from "Finger Pass", looking south and north; were those taken from right at the pass, or from a little ways down?
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

paul wrote:Coyote - nice TR, Thanks! A quick question regarding your photos from "Finger Pass", looking south and north; were those taken from right at the pass, or from a little ways down?
on top of the pass.

interestingly, the two guys i met inionian, john & rob.... john told me in an email that they went for the direct approach to tunemah.

they went from goddard creek then up and over the east shoulder of blue canyon peak then directly over the summit of the peak just north of tunemah lake.

(they're hardcore mountaineers)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow, this last series of photos adds to an already amazing report. This is the place of which High Sierra dreams are made.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Really enjoyed the great trip report and photos. Thanks for sharing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Please continue! The most remote place in the Sierra? I think that perfect circue lake at the bottom of that canyon (10232) would be a contender, with the winner being the lower end of Enchanted Gorge. Now if I could just talk someone into going down into that canyon to 10232 with me, that would really knock a chunk off my 'things to do list'. I like the picture of the stream below Portal Lake, one of my favorite scenes and favorite picture of mine when I was there. I wonder if at Mantle pass if you went over the talus or if you found that friendly notch/gully next to the pass? :) (http://www.sierra-trails.com/nfkings/nfkr16.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Please give us more! Thanks!

(Edit)
OPPS! I should have refreshed! You DID post more! Thanks!
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Talk about a great loop. Wow. Must've been an incredible trip (except for maybe the smoke and stinging nettles...ouch). Thanks for posting such a great read along with all those great visuals