self-issued permits at wilderness access points?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: self-issued permits at wilderness access points?

Post by bheiser1 »

That's good info. My original question was to find out if there's a list online of all the self-issued-permit access points. Seems like we're on our way toward having one (I'm working on it :) ).

I do see the point, btw, with special restrictions and requirements in an area like Yosemite that's so extremely heavily used. So I guess that wasn't a good example for me to use :).

But in almost any location (and the main reason for my original question) ... picking the permit up "the day before" ... is not feasible for those of us who work on weekdays. Hence why self-issued-at-trailhead solution is so desirable for weekend trips...
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

bheiser1 wrote:That's good info. My original question was to find out if there's a list online of all the self-issued-permit access points. Seems like we're on our way toward having one (I'm working on it :) ).
It would be nice if those that hand out permits were consistent in process. But they're not. Even when you compile the list, there's no better recourse than to call and talk with the ranger in the area you want to go. Sometimes they're nice and do things like leave your permit under a rock in the parking lot or the drop box, and sometimes, they, well, just aren't nice.

Personally I try and arrange my trips well in advance and secure the permit. Yes, I still have to check in. That will continue to suck.. That doesn't mean i get special treatment at check-in, but lately, the more i go, the quicker the process is. High use areas will always get more scrutiny.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

bheiser1 wrote:
But in almost any location (and the main reason for my original question) ... picking the permit up "the day before" ... is not feasible for those of us who work on weekdays. Hence why self-issued-at-trailhead solution is so desirable for weekend trips...
This is where you have more control... now that you have your list of locales and permit requirements, when you have limited time and need to get to the trailhead at 2 am, pick a location where they will do night drop, or self registration, or no permit at all. When you can get off early on Friday, reserve a permit in Yosemite and pick it up before the wilderness office closes for the day. Stay in a backpacker's campground and enjoy some frontcountry sights, start hiking in the morning. Work that system! \:D/
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Yup, that's the idea ... basically a list to serve as a menu of places to go when there's no time to go anywhere but the trailhead on the way in :).

I had this idea of creating a wiki where anyone can add their knowledge about specific self-issue permit trailheads. Stay tuned :).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

After October - November, you can list the national parks in there too. You can self register and also camp places where camping is forbidden during the summer, like Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove... I'm probably going out in October to Kings Canyon when self registration comes into effect - scribble, drop the copy in the slot, hike. Yosemite's self reg season starts in Nov.
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

I've seen on the official national park sites that, as you pointed out, the permit system is more open in the winter months. But they just say "winter". And you mentioned "November", etc. Are there specific dates people can plan on or does it vary by snowfall etc each year?

Also, how about a few other key areas:
- north or south from Ebbetts Pass, Carson Pass, or Sonora Pass?
- the Ansel Adams trailheads from the Clover Meadow area?
- the Saddlebag Lake entrance to Hoover Wilderness?
- John Muir trailheads around Florence Lake, Bear Diversion, etc?

Anyone know specifics of these as it relates to self-issued permits?

'course if I can point to specific official referneces for these it'd be even better, but word of mouth is a starting point :)

This is my first foray into the World of Wikis, so its' rough, but here's a start:
http://cawilderness.wikispaces.com/

I'm not sure how well it will work, but we can give it a shot. Comments/suggestions welcome :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The Clover Meadow area will be inaccessible once the road closes (snow). I suspect that will be true of any of them - Kaiser Pass road closes when snow falls heavy enough to stick. And the risk of having your car snowed in back there increases the later it gets.... We got a snowfall of about an inch the first week of October that made the road impassable for a day, last year (was at Mono Hot Springs, and down it came, and all the folks without chains hustled out to slip and slide up the road). I think Kaiser is the only one flagged for snow travel, and snowmobiles go in from time to time to resupply folks like the guy wintering at Mono Hot Springs.

SEKI self registration begins on Sept 26. Yosemite actually varies - the TM wilderness office starts self registration in mid-September, Big Oak Flat and Wawona are self reg after September, the Badger ranger station is only open December - March, Hetch Hetchy you register at the gate with the staff year round. (This is per the wilderness office page - no dates are listed.)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bheiser1 wrote:I've seen on the official national park sites that, as you pointed out, the permit system is more open in the winter months. But they just say "winter". And you mentioned "November", etc. Are there specific dates people can plan on or does it vary by snowfall etc each year?

Also, how about a few other key areas:
- north or south from Ebbetts Pass, Carson Pass, or Sonora Pass?
- the Ansel Adams trailheads from the Clover Meadow area?
- the Saddlebag Lake entrance to Hoover Wilderness?
- John Muir trailheads around Florence Lake, Bear Diversion, etc?

Anyone know specifics of these as it relates to self-issued permits?

'course if I can point to specific official referneces for these it'd be even better, but word of mouth is a starting point :)

This is my first foray into the World of Wikis, so its' rough, but here's a start:
http://cawilderness.wikispaces.com/

I'm not sure how well it will work, but we can give it a shot. Comments/suggestions welcome :)
You planning on maintaining this wiki? I'm not sure why you don't just point to a current list of NPS/USFS url's and be done with it, and maybe refresh the HST permit page. Are you serious about talking about November? That becomes a personal choice, involving lots of snow, and pointless for the permit discussion. They're all open.. Di.., er ski at your own risk..
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Hmmm, well ... the idea was (being on a Wiki and all) that it develop into something maintained by the community ... just like wikipedia.

Yeah, links to usfs sites could be part of it ... but given how vague the various sites are, that's of limited use.

I guess I mis-judged how this idea would be received... oh well!

So am I really the only one who thinks of my weekends as a time to be "free", do things (including weekend backpacking trips) spontaneously, not planned weeks in advance?

p.s. I didn't say I would backpack in the Sierra in November ... I was just asking for specific dates for the permit system. :)
Last edited by bheiser1 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

bheiser1 wrote:
So am I really the only one who thinks of my weekends as a time to be "free", do things (including weekend backpacking trips) spontaneously, not planned weeks in advance?
Not at all. I go spontaneously all the time. Just today someone called up and said "let's go to Mineral King for four days this Friday!"