April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Cool slide shot, looks like around 35 to 40 deg west facing slope, still not a heck of alot of snow this year. The area has so many safe ways to move through it, dont need av gear unless you want to stick your neck out, no pun intended.
Dont forget to bring change, ones and fives to put into the self pay snowpark pass drop at the parking. Five bucks, one day, not sure the rate for two or more. Read instructions for parking so as not to interfere with the snow clearing.
Breakfast at the lodge has always been awsome, pick from any or all of the items cooked/baked that day.
wingding

Post by wingding »

How limited is parking at the sno-park lot? Is there usually plenty of room? I'm going to stay in Bishop on Friday night and drive up to the parking lot on Saturday morning.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

There always seems to be plenty of parking.

hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I'm good to go on the SnoPark pass, got one in Dec. for the Lake Winnemucca trip. I haven't been in touch with Gak yet, I'm shooting to hit the parking lot around 9:00 or a tad earlier. When are the rest of folks who are going in on Sat. showing up? I can get there a little earlier.
Piece of cake.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I have to be at the parking lot and ready to go at 8 am on Saturday if I want a snowmobile ride to the lodge for breakfast.

I see they give ski lessons at the lodge. The only skiing I've done is downhill and I haven't done that in 25 years, but I'd like to try some xcountry.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I will be there with Trekker, around 9am. Planning to take the snowmobile up (I have to call tomorrow to make reservations). I'm still trying to figure out where to camp the first night. Looking for the highest elevation where I can park (to acclimatize), without driving all the way to the Sno-Park.

Plenty of parking every time I've been there. Last weekend the extra parking area was covered with new snow from the day before. A month ago cars were parked up there.

You can also get the Sno-Park Pass at Tom's Place at the store.

Does anyone carry FSR radios? Or will cell phones work up there?

I don't know how much snow Rock Creek got, but Mammoth Mtn got 36" in this last storm (29" of it was yesterday)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Cell phones will not work up there, I will bring about 4 radios if anyone needs one, believe it or not there is a working phone booth by the resort, should be visible, and a phone booth by the Lodge. If anyone comes in real late and you dont want to drive up the road, after turning off 395 at Toms make a left on the frontage road, it is cleared about 100yards and you can park and sleep there with no hastle, I have parked for a day there before, no problem, pull off to the side. Im not sure about camping between there and the end of the road for this time of the year.
wingding

Post by wingding »

The guy I talked to at the lodge said there would be phone reception at Tom's Place, not after that. I'm going to grap a motel room in Bishop on Friday night and call the lodge from there on Saturday morning to make sure they can still come get me at the parking area.

I'm not sure if they come get people unless they're eating or staying at the lodge. They said they'd come get me because I want to eat breakfast up there, but I didn't ask if they'd pick me up if I didn't want breakfast. They said to be in the parking lot and completely ready to go at 8 am.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do after breakfast. I might look into taking a ski lesson if they offer them to beginners or I might just go set up camp at Mosquito Flats and explore LLV. I wonder how hard/dangerous a climb Mount Starr would be? I'll look for everyone at breakfast or at Mosquito Flats.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Wingding, you are right about the cell reception, nothing past Toms, the pay phones I mentioned are at the Lodge and one further south along the road. Anyone needing a lift by the lodge needs to make reservations in advance and then call prior to showing up.
Starr might be a fun day, either by way of Mono pass or the south ridge just prior to the Pass.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Snow Nymph, I thought you had a condo in Mammoth? It took awhile to think of this, but others are doing it, driving there Friday after work. I could be there by 7 or so, even if I work to 4. Is Toms Place open for breakfast?
Piece of cake.