Just returned from my first-ever solo ...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Just returned from my first-ever solo ...

Post by rlown »

True enough.. They are out there creating their own experience, which might lead to good trips later in smaller groups. As offputting as it might be, they are still enjoying the wilderness in their own way. Hence, my 8 mile rule.. Get 8 miles back anywhere and offtrail for at least 2 of those miles, and you are less likely to run into large groups. If I target a place that is popular on near a trail, I just accept the fact that I might have to deal with a group, so I pick my campsite carefully.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

Right- that's what I was trying to say I guess. Their behavior is not so much the issue as the proximity. I like your take...especially if one is solo or with a small team, they can easily find their own well deserved peace and quiet by going another way (usually).
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

About the group of 15 conundrum...
You just discovered an important lesson on why we solo backpack...just to get away from said noise.

Being solo, your sense of hearing now more acute...the group mentioned undoubtedly sounded louder/ more piercing?
Now here is lesson #2: instead of beating a dead horse here afterwards, (there will always be other groups of 15), being solo, you always have the option of moving.

The freedom of hiking alone; use it wisely.
Mountainman who swims with trout
GH-Dave
Topix Acquainted

Post by GH-Dave »

Markskor,

In this particular case there really wasn't the option to move. I was hemmed in by sheer drop on two sides, a series of downhill switchbacks heading farther down the trail, or going back up the trail from whence I came right past their camp to who knows where.

The truth is, I was dog tired after doing the most grueling of my five days, and I didn't have the energy to pack up camp and find another spot.

This little episode didn't ruin my trip by any means. It was just the luck of the draw that they happened to end up in the same remote location as me on the shoulder of Tuolumne Peak. I hope I didn't give the impression that my complaint about this noisy group was all I took home from this trip. On the contrary, it was absolutely wonderful. I met some great folks. And I am raring to go again. :)

Dave
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Dave;
Congrats on your first solo, and I took from your report that the large, noisy groups did not in any way "ruin" your experience, just made it less than it could have been. I feel it pitiful that backcountry groups are permitted to be so large, considering the concentrated impact that such a large group will have in a small area. On the other hand, like Mokelumne Kid said, I too have been part of raucous party crowds at car camping areas, especially while studying geology in college, where the party was part of the study.

I too just completed my first ever solo backpack, and will definitely do it again.

Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I have experienced sanctioned sierra club groups with the same behavior, so it's not just school or scout groups.

and one FS trail crew, but that is another story...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Right all- I know that GH-Dave was just seeking to commiserate, not dictate behavior; I was only trying to be a bit of a devils advocate, but I'm on his side in real time situations. He was just saying, "ah shucks." (Herm- as a geology prof I know all too well about trying to manage evenings in campgrounds with geology students. Sometimes I have to turn the hoses on 'em. And when I was working on a trail crew in the Stanislaus Nat'l. Forest in the mid-'70's- it was savage and it was a co-ed crew. There were days, no lie, when we worked practically naked: jock strap, hard hat and gloves with a woman trail boss and they were dressed the same way! ).

HST folks are pretty cool- live and let live...and hike away from trouble. \:D/
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

Hi GH-Dave!

My friend Paola and I ran into you last week during your solo trip through Ten Lakes.

We were a little luckier as we'd made camp on the 3rd night at the top. We'd scrambled a bit to find a plateau way off-trail. We had a ~great~ vantage point to see almost 340 degrees around! We didn't have any of the school groups around us, and had a peaceful evening watching the sunset and enjoying dinner.

Maybe it was a good thing that we tended to get up late and hiked until later in the afternoon, stopping after other people had already made camp. That way, we could always pick a spot after the noisy people settled down for the night.

It was a beautiful week out there with perfect weather and just a hint of fall in the air.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

It seems to be a trend - there were no less than three different organizational logos on vans (and four vans from Azusa U, large private college in Los Angeles area) at trailhead parking in Curry last Sunday.

I don't mind large groups - I sometimes take them out myself. I do mind that the groups go nuts and turn into intrusive herds, and have said as much to them, not that it does any good.
GH-Dave
Topix Acquainted

Post by GH-Dave »

Hi Oubliet,

Hey, it's nice running into you again. Being on the same trail with you and Paola I count as one of the highlights of my trip.

I think you're on the right track with the idea of coming onto your destination a little later so you can scout out who is there and work around them. My problem is, I'm so used to getting up at dawn to do chores, I just couldn't lie around in my sleeping bag waiting for time to pass. I like to get up and get going.

With any luck, running into those school groups was an anomaly and won't happen again like that.

Take care,

Dave