Article on Beer in the Woods: What do you bring out there?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Article on Beer in the Woods: What do you bring out there?

Post by yosehiker »

There was an article today in the SF Chronicle about 'Real Backpackers' bringing beer into the wilderness. I found the article rather uninformative and in general poor, but if you wish to read it, the link is here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 080610.DTL

Anyway, it got me thinking of what i bring out there when I'm hiking, if i bring any alcohol at all. I generally bring some wine when i do. I take an empty plastic coke bottle, or something similar, and fill it with however much wine i want. Easy, light, cheap and resealable. Also, that way one of my water bottles won't taste/smell like alcohol and if i don't want it anymore, i just recycle it. I recently tried the small box wines i have seen in stores, but after my second night on my trip i found it had been leaking so i had to finish it that night. Also, that was more trash to zip lock up, and it was heavier and bulkier than a bottle.

Otherwise i have brought a mixer for hot chocolate (rum, baileys) or some whiskey or Tequila. Staying at ski huts in the winter i have done margaritas and gin & tonics, using the snow as the ice, just make sure it isn't yellow snow.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Article on Beer in the Woods: What do you bring out there?

Post by Jimr »

Wild Turkey. For me, any alcohol must be over 100 proof to reduce weight / bang
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There is a prior thread along these lines at: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russ
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

The beer I like to bring is 211 Steel Reserve from Miller Brewing. It has 8.1%, :thumbsup: more bang for the ounce. Comes in 24oz. cans. I think it tastes better than Mickeys and Old English. I used to bring more, but now I'm down to just 1 or 2. It's like carrying in a brick.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Depending on the trip, we bring some beers. Big passes and long ins mean less, if any beers make it.

Last trip I tossed two beers into my pack under my bear container at the last minute. Unfortunately, the cans are now so thin that one of them popped a leak and got my clothing bag and sleeping bag wet. Not the greatest thing to find out when you arrived completely exhausted to camp late at night.

I may be sticking to whiskey from here on out.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Am I the only one that remembers the powdered beer that was test marketed about 25(?) years ago? Can't remember the manufacturer, but it was distributed by a few outdoor stores in the Los Angeles area. I bought some and tried it. It was a foul tasting bilious swill. :retard: It obviously never made it to general distribution.

Good idea, though. I give them credit for trying.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

As much as I love beer and wine, there's no room in my bag for that, or to have to carry the empty containers for an entire trip. I can't afford the weight, and I need the room for picking up other garbage I certainly will find.

But as soon as I get to Tom's Place, look out.