Independence to Onion Valley - Straightforward?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Independence to Onion Valley - Straightforward?

Post by EpicSteve »

I'll be doing a trans-Sierra hike in a couple of weeks and I need to leave directions for my wife to pick me up at the Kearsarge Pass/Onion Valley trailhead. I've only been there once and it was many years ago.

On the maps I've seen, it appears to be fairly straightforward, except for one potentially confusing little intersection of loops towards the end of the road, where the road appears to split off into three different directions.

Is it well-signed, so that my wife can easily find the Kearsarge Pass trailhead to meet me?
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Independence to Onion Valley - Straightforward?

Post by Turtleggjp »

I would just tell her to park in the big dirt lot that you first come to (it kinda looks like an onion from high up on the trails). The hardest part I'd say is finding the right street to take out of the town of Independence (Market Street). If she can get on the right road, the rest is easy. There is basically the big dirt lot where the backpackers park, a few more spots that are usually full, and then the campground. I'd just tell her to park wherever she can, and you should be able to find her without too much searching.

Matt
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

Thank you, Matt. I appreciate it!
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Turtleggjp wrote:I would just tell her to park in the big dirt lot that you first come to (it kinda looks like an onion from high up on the trails). The hardest part I'd say is finding the right street to take out of the town of Independence (Market Street). If she can get on the right road, the rest is easy. There is basically the big dirt lot where the backpackers park, a few more spots that are usually full, and then the campground. I'd just tell her to park wherever she can, and you should be able to find her without too much searching.

Matt
Turn left at the post office in Independence - it is easy to distinguish with it's red-white-blue paint scheme.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

...and here's a picture of the intersection in Independence :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 79,,0,4.88

It appears West Market St (by the PO) turns into Onion Valley Rd.

The trailhead sign:
Onion Valley Trailhead 1.jpg
and here's what the trailhead/campground area looks like from above, with the road from Independence coming in from the left. The trailhead is on the right as you drive up the road. The campground is on the left.
Onion Valley Trailhead 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.