self-issued permits at wilderness access points?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

self-issued permits at wilderness access points?

Post by bheiser1 »

I run into the same issue I've seen mentioned here before ... where it's very difficult to go backpacking on a weekend because of the permit system. I prefer to think of weekend backpacking as a spontaneous activity ... without weeks of planning ahead to submit a snail mail request for a permit. However given the time constraints of a weekend, and USFS ranger stations typically being closed on weekends (at least off season), it's almost impossible to get a permit.

I know some trailheads/areas allow self-issued permits ... for example, in the Trinity Alps.

I've searched and haven't found this: is there a current list somewhere of Sierra trailheads/wilderness access points where self-issued permits are possible?

Thanks!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: self-issued permits at wilderness access points?

Post by SSSdave »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5207&p=32139&hilit=permit#p32139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

situation sukks

don't think it will get better in most places as my suspicion is that some of those in policy positions with a monkeywrenching attitude use the current system to limit backpacking since they probably view any increase in backcountry visitations as resource destructive
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

With the exception of the Whitney and Cottonwood trails I think that the rest of the GTW is unlimited self issue.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

No wilderness permit is needed for Granite Chief Wilderness or the rest of Tahoe NF. You only need a campfire permit (available on-line) if you plan to have a campfire or use a stove. Maybe not the most spectacular scenery in the Sierra, but still very nice mountains and lakes and forests, and a reasonable drive from the Bay Area or Sacramento (so long as you avoid rush hour...)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreatio ... ndex.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Here is a link to Inyo National Forest that has some good info on quotas, self issue permits, etc;

The permitting system is ridiculous- a bureaucrat's job security. SSS dave's post has a link to previous posts that discuss it. I usually reserve permits months in advance to make sure I get to go where I want to go, because the system seems designed to keep people out, not allow them into "their" wilderness areas. However, because of life's demands, I usually have to change plans a few times, and just lose the money I pay for myself and whoever else goes with me. They will send you a confirmation letter after you pay, but not the actual permit. You still have to stand in line when the office opens to get your permit, and listen to the lecture. You mean to tell me that in this computer age, they could not just look at your info when you advance reserve, and see that this customer has had 20 permits in the last 5 years. We can just send him the permit, he knows about bearboxes, camping by water, etc; and all that info is on the written permit anyway. It is either incompetence on their part, or deliberate policy to make things difficult, and keep people out, because of their elitist, enforcement points of view.
And these same types of federal bureaucrats are the people I will trusting my health and my family's health to in the years to come- thanks to ObamaCare. Taking an extra day off to stand in line for a wilderness permit won't be an issue- I will be standing in line all day to go to a crummy doctor, if they allow me to.

"STILL CLINGING TO MY GUNS AND RELIGION"

Richard
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

The permitting system is (sometimes) inconvenient, but it's also necessary (in some form) to manage the crowds. I'm prepared to accept a little inconvenience for the good of the wilderness.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

After late September, SEKI is self-registration. Same in Yosemite from October/November (depending on where you're going).
However, if you are going to have quotas, then I think that unfortunately picking up permits in person (or using night boxes, which you can do in the National Forest areas) is the best way to go. Otherwise, a lot of the permits that people book in advance will simply go to waste, because the cost of making a reservation is so low, and there are no refunds. If you don't pick up the permit then they can give it to someone else instead. Otherwise as in Desolation Wilderness (where they will send you the permit by mail), I bet half or more of the pre-reserved permits are never used.
I tend to make several bookings early in the year, and just decide nearer the time which ones to use.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I agree there should be some kind of system in place. The system has changed a lot since it was first put in place, and I do not think for the better. There are so many things people are doing to try and make the system workable for them, that it is apparent to me the system needs a lot improvement. If this was a private business based on consumer satisfaction, they would be out of business. I think the night/reservation box makes a lot of sense. If the permit is not picked up by a certain time, it becomes available to someone else.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

As noted in the earlier thread, policies in quota areas are most reasonable in Stanislaus NF's with Inyo and Sierra nearly so. But even at those, as noted, I would like to see the policy of allowing backpackers to pick up Saturday starting unreserved permits for popular TH's on Friday changed to Saturday morning that otherwise penalizes the vast majority of people working m-f 8-5. If that one policy were changed many of us would more frequently weekend backpack. The Stanislaus policy is even more ideal. A person can phone in for a permit on Friday and SNF will put the permit into a nightbox that we working people can then grab late at night and continue on to the trailhead. At the trailhead we can start night hiking that evening or early the next day at dawn. A huge benefit for photographers that wish to be at some location for dawn/sunrise light.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

My recent trip to Red Mt. Basin, they put the permit in the nightbox for me, so we could leave early the next morning without red tape. But I had it reserved for several months.
Last edited by richlong8 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.