Courtwright-Red Mt. Basin Sept. 2010

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Courtwright-Red Mt. Basin Sept. 2010

Post by richlong8 »

Just returned from 5 day trip to Red Mt. Basin- from Courtwright Reservoir= my first visit to this area on Sierra west side. Slept at trailhead Friday night to get an early AM start and get acclimated- you might be well advised to use the bear boxes! I carried about 38 pounds, but it was worth every pound.

Day 1- 12 miles to North Fork Kings, Day 2- 5.0 miles to Devil's Punchbowl, Day 3- 4.5 miles to Rae Lake via Disappointment and Hell for Sure Lakes, Day 4- layover, Day 5- 13 miles back to Courtwright......Lots of good fishing and pic taking- great area, very good for cross country travel, which we did between various lakes.
More fishing info with a few different pictures @ The Fishing Hole.

Here's a few pictures:
NORTH FORK KINGS RIVER
DEVIL'S PUNCHBOWL
DISAPPOINTMENT LAKE
HELL FOR SURE LAKE
UNNAMED LAKE
EARLY AM AT RAE LAKE
UPPER INDIAN LAKE
MOSQUITO PASS
HAVING A LEGAL FIRE
FLEMING LAKE- FROSTY AM
GREAT TRIP- The weather changed on the last day, it was 43 degrees when we got back to the trailhead on Sept 8.

Richard

Richard
Last edited by richlong8 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Courtwright-Red Mt. Basin Sept. 2010

Post by balzaccom »

WE love this area, and did a similar trip earlier last year. But is it really mre than 6 miles from the King's River to Devil's Punchbowl? That was one steep cliimb, but I only remember it being about 4.5 miles...

You can see our photos on our website---lovely, lovely places!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

That's a good point. From memory, I might have been going off the number on the Tom Harrison map. As I check my GPS, I see it was about 4.5 to the southern end from our camp at Meadowbrook, and another half mile to the north end where we camped. Great campsite, fishing better on south and west sides. Great photos on your website, much better than mine!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for posting your TR and pic's.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Thanks for posting the report. Remember camping a few years ago quite near where your Disappointment Lake photo was taken up a bit from the lake...brings back memories.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

We carried our packs to the junction just below Disappointment from Punchbowl, then dayhiked and fished the upper basin lakes. The fishing was a little disappointing at first- but got better as we got a feel for the right way to fish it. We walked around Disappointment, what a beautiful lake. There was noone else there.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the pictures and the report!