Camping suggestions for a friend from San Diego?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
diesel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Camping suggestions for a friend from San Diego?

Post by diesel »

A friend of mine wants to take his girlfriend car camping (not backpacking) and is looking for suggestions.

He is coming from San Diego and his plan is to go in about 3 weeks, so consider what the weather would be like then. I think he's just looking for something very scenic (maybe impress the girlfriend with some views and beautiful scenery), that is a somewhat reasonable drive. He's even open to ideas that aren't in the sierra if you guys have more suitable suggestions. With that in mind, are there any favorite camping spots that you would recommend?

(I know this is extremely broad, so I'll try to focus the discussion a bit as i get suggestions from anyone)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camping suggestions for a friend from San Diego?

Post by AlmostThere »

Coming from SD to where?

What is a reasonable drive?
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Seems he's interested in the Sierra but is open to suggestions if there's something equally interesting within a 4-5 hour drive.

My initial thoughts were maybe that he should look into Lone Pine or somewhere nearby, though I'm less familiar with the eastern sierra and don't know anything about campgrounds or destinations in the area.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If they are going car camping and not hiking, anywhere in Sequoia/Kings would do. Mineral King is gorgeous. Eastern Sierra will have the campgrounds too but going up out of Lone Pine is going up steeply, to Horseshoe or Onion or Whitney Portal (and why camp there if you are not doing Whitney? zoo for no reason). Unless they want to head to Death Valley (ugh, hot now).

If they want to do some hiking but not really strenuous or long, Cottonwood Lakes out of Horseshoe is nice. Good fishing. Mineral King will also be good - all the trails go somewhere beautiful and there are shorter and longer ones. Or walking around the groves of sequoias in the park, the Lakes trail, any of the destinations out of Lodgepole - there are trails that depart from the campground in Lodgepole, including the short and easy Tokopah Falls. And along the main road, short hikes to viewpoints like Moro Rock, LIttle/big Baldy, Hospital Rock along the way to enjoy.
hwy395lvrz
Topix Acquainted

Post by hwy395lvrz »

Convict Lake is only six hours from S.D. Very scenic,general store,five-star restaurant,good fall fishing,easy hiking trail to the far side.Tell 'em to get there mid-week to snag the best site.