GPS iphone app?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: GPS iphone app?

Post by BSquared »

dave54 wrote:Last night I loaded about 8 gigs of USGS topo maps in my droid. But they are not really all that useful. You have to zoom in pretty far to get the map large enough to read, and then only a small area is visible on the screen.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that; could also be a weakness in the James Associates app, since they also use regular 7.5-minute quads. Anybody tried some of the apps that have their own maps, like the Tom Harrison app for instance (not sure whether that one's available for Android)? Can they do better, or is it a problem inherent in the device size? I know Consumer Reports says that for hiking-size GPSs, map displays aren't worth the extra money because of exactly this problem. Never played with one myself...

It seems to me that for a true geek, that's where a device like an iPad could really come into its own, if the battery life is long enough. Imagine taking the weight of your paperback book, all your maps, the cell phone, and the GPS and trading the whole smash for an iPad... it just might be a good tradeoff. But of course you'd want the paper maps anyway; as the Coast Guard says, never rely on any single navigation system, especially if it's electronic. Now, let's see, if we could make the iPad out of Kevlar and wrap it around the food... :whistle:
—B²
Bandito
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Bandito »

You can also get solar phone chargers.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

BSquared wrote:Anybody tried some of the apps that have their own maps, like the Tom Harrison app for instance (not sure whether that one's available for Android)?
Wow, I hadn't heard of that one. iPhone only. Hope it's developed for Android at some point.

All of Dave's points were right on the mark.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Bandito wrote:You can also get solar phone chargers.
I've never read a good review for any of those gadgets I have researched. Have one in mind I may have missed?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Bandito
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Bandito »

ERIC wrote:
Bandito wrote:You can also get solar phone chargers.
I've never read a good review for any of those gadgets I have researched. Have one in mind I may have missed?
I definately don't think there's an (affordbale) silver bullet of solar power chargers yet but with the proper phone setting to conserve battery and a precharged charger I think some things on the market might do well. But I don't know if I'd trust it for a long trip if I were using my phone's GPS as my only form of navigation.

This one seems to have decent reviews (for that that's worth)