Yukon Pack/Hudson Bay Company Pack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Bandito
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Yukon Pack/Hudson Bay Company Pack

Post by Bandito »

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Yukon Pack and/or can provide any solid informaiton as to how to construct one.

I happened to catch a few episodes of The Alaska Experiment: Out of the Wild" and noticed that they were using an improvised tarp pack that they were calling a "Yukon Pack". With these improvised packs they were carrying very heavy loads for long distances so they must be viable alternatives and I think anyone can see the possible weight reduction if you can tarp camp and use the tarp and some cordage to create your pack.

Since the name "Yukon Pack" is so widely used as a name brand it's virtually impossible to find any good information on them and the best way to construct them. I did happen to find another improvised pack along the same lines named a "Hudson Bay Company Pack" but information on that is very limited also.

I'd consider myself a recreational lightweight backpacker but I'm not interested in dedicating hundreds of dollars to save a few ounces. This type of pack seems like a very cheap and easy way to shed a few pounds of weight.
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Re: Yukon Pack/Hudson Bay Company Pack

Post by Bandito »

So I decided to give this a shot last night and I was able to cut down my base weight by nearly 2 lbs, once I feel confident tarp camping I’ll be able to remove my bivy sack to further reduce weight; until then I plan to use the tarp as a ground cover.

I’ve definitely got to work on finding the best way to tie up the pack and add some padding to the shoulder straps.

Once I feel I’ve got a good system I may post a guide here; but I’m definitely interested in anyone’s experience with these types of packs in actual use.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

I too searched high and low for information about it, but got lost in the web, and gave up. Would love to see some sort of guide. I'm interested.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Looks a whole lot like a Gearskin.

http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1 ... rskin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bandito »

Yeah it does, although a home made version wouldn't be $180. :retard: