Trip Report: Mineral King Classic Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Trip Report: Mineral King Classic Loop

Post by calipidder »

Timber Gap, Black Rock Pass, Little & Big Five Lakes, Lost Canyon, Columbine Lake, Sawtooth Pass

I did this trip about a month ago as a warm up for some longer and harder stuff that followed. I had done bigger loops around this area, but never actually been in this area or gone in/out of Mineral King via either Timber Gap or Sawtooth. So I thought it would be fun to check out this classic loop, and yep - it was fun. I wrote a long trip report and thoughts here.

Direct link to pictures here.

We really liked the fishing on this loop. :yummy:
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report: Mineral King Classic Loop

Post by windknot »

Great report and pictures! A very nice rainbow as well. It's strange that I haven't done a trip out of Mineral King yet, given that it's not too far of a drive from my parents' house in Sanger. I need to rectify this soon.

Matt
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I like Mineral King because it's a quick approach into that high terrain from the west side. I don't like mineral king due to that ^%@#%ing road. I'd almost rather add a couple extra hours to get to Bishop. But the pie! Did I mention the pie?! :)
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Thanks, Calipidder. your photos definitely helped inspire me to do a solo trip out of mineral king last weekend (the bigger loop- franklin/big and little 5 to black rock and timber gap).... definitely a wonderful trip. I Will try to get my trip report up soon as well. Can't believe I forgot to try the pie!
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

That area really does sound and look enticing ... except for the marmots at the trailhead. It'd be a super bummer to come out from a nice backpack, tired and just in time to drive home for work the next day, only to find your radiator hoses chewed to bits. I know one can use fencing and all that, but ... when did a fence ever stop a determined rodent? :)
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Marmots are usually only an early season problem. No one had marmot proofed their cars when I was there last weekend and I didnt heard of any reported incidents of marmot trouble
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pic's, and agree that the road is a pain, especially if you
would like to get to the trail head early.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Nice TR and pictures! I did a 4 day solo of the exact route last month. It was incredible, with each day surpassing the previous in scenery. Fishing for goldens at Big Five Lakes and brookies at Columbine was too easy. And seeing the full moon rise over Columbine Lake at sunset was very nice. I even saw my first backcountry bear about a mile and a half before reaching the Pinto Lake/Cliff Creek camp area!