Mendel Glacier WWII era crash site

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mendel Glacier WWII era crash site

Post by ERIC »

How about a link on your site to this thread?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

ERIC wrote:How about a link on your site to this thread?
Always trying to promote "Topix," eh, Eric? :nod:
—B²
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

BSquared wrote:
Well....Fair is fair. If someone promotes their book on this site, then.....
Final Flight
Topix Novice

Post by Final Flight »

Yes, and I agree! Looks like my previous response didn't get posted. Must have pushed, or not pushed, the right button. I'm going to post some links in my May blog - right at the top. Must give credit where it is due since some people from Topix were instrumental in providing important info to me.

Peter
The Other Tom wrote:
BSquared wrote:
Well....Fair is fair. If someone promotes their book on this site, then.....
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks, Peter. Good luck with your book.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Final Flight
Topix Novice

Post by Final Flight »

I've posted the Final Flight May, 2010 blog. Topix lovers can find it over here:
http://finalflightthebook.com/Blog_May10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The blog home page is here:
http://finalflightthebook.com/Final_Flight_bog_home.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to thank the people who contribute to High Sierra Topix. Also, thank you to all the people who have been following the mystery of the Mendel Glacier and who have communicated with me via Topix and by private email.

The Sierra Nevada is truly a fantastic and wonderful place. Thank you to Eric for providing a forum where we can all get together and share our passion for the Sierra.

Peter
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Final Flight wrote:The Sierra Nevada is truly a fantastic and wonderful place. Thank you to Eric for providing a forum where we can all get together and share our passion for the Sierra.

Peter
Amen! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
—B²
Final Flight
Topix Novice

Post by Final Flight »

Since 2005 when Leo Mustonen - the “Frozen Airman” - was found, there has been lots of interest about the November 18, 1942 Beech 18 AT-7 crash on Mendel Glacier in Kings Canyon National Park. I’ve been involved in the story beginning in August, 2007, when I hiked up to the glacier and found the remains of Glenn Munn, a second crewmember from the crashed airplane.

Thus began my personal quest to discover why the AT-7 crashed 150 miles from its supposed route. How did it get there? What factors were involved - weather, climate, pilot error? Were the known facts about the airplanes final flight in error? Who was the pilot and who were the three navigation cadets on board? What does this story tell us about how our nation cares for and honors our fallen soldiers?

Over all these years I've deeply appreciated how forums such as this one have kept the story alive. That's why I'm happy to announce that my book about the missing aircraft and its crew, FINAL FLIGHT - The Mystery of a WWII Plane Crash and the Frozen Airman in the High Sierra, was published September 1, 2010.

I want to express my thanks to Eric, forum moderators, the people who have posted here [many of whom have communicated with me privately and offered helpful information or advice], and the many readers who continue to be interested in this story.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Final Flight wrote:Since 2005 when Leo Mustonen - the “Frozen Airman” - was found, there has been lots of interest about the November 18, 1942 Beech 18 AT-7 crash on Mendel Glacier in Kings Canyon National Park. I’ve been involved in the story beginning in August, 2007, when I hiked up to the glacier and found the remains of Glenn Munn, a second crewmember from the crashed airplane.

Thus began my personal quest to discover why the AT-7 crashed 150 miles from its supposed route. How did it get there? What factors were involved - weather, climate, pilot error? Were the known facts about the airplanes final flight in error? Who was the pilot and who were the three navigation cadets on board? What does this story tell us about how our nation cares for and honors our fallen soldiers?

Over all these years I've deeply appreciated how forums such as this one have kept the story alive. That's why I'm happy to announce that my book about the missing aircraft and its crew, FINAL FLIGHT - The Mystery of a WWII Plane Crash and the Frozen Airman in the High Sierra, was published September 1, 2010.

I want to express my thanks to Eric, forum moderators, the people who have posted here [many of whom have communicated with me privately and offered helpful information or advice], and the many readers who continue to be interested in this story.
Congrats! It's a great story. Pretty cool to see some of it come together right here at HST. :)
Hope it's a best seller...best of luck.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Thanks for a great topic. I read about the recovery effort in the LA Times awhile back. It made me think how often so many of the backcountry community had hiked so near the area and never known what was so close.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."