Isberg Pass: SE Yosemite Aug 13-20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Isberg Pass: SE Yosemite Aug 13-20

Post by Take-a-Hike »

What was meant to be an Isberg Pass/Electra Peak loop, turned into an Isberg Pass out 'n back, but we still had a good, relaxing time on our first ever back pack into Yosemite. Made the first leg of the trip fine to Sadler Lake, more like a shrinking mud hole, but still home to some packed in fishermen. Next day was up 'n over Isberg where we strayed from the trail and decided to try Turner Lake rather than the preselcted spot at the Triple Peak Fork trail junction; Wise Choice!
The photo above is looking down the Turner outlet from our campsite down into the Triple Peak Fork drainage.
We then spent several days at Red Devil Lake sandwiched around a day hike up to Red Peak Pass.
That would be me and the wifey on Red Peak Pass.....

We then went over to Harriett while I pondered a way out...
Electra being too diverse, I failed to get info from the experts on Blue Lake Pass; found it on a scouting trip, but due to talus and not sure what was on the other side, decided I'd stick w/what I knew, which was wife's hate for talus and there was no talus going out the way we came in...so that's what won out.
First trip in history I came out 7 lbs lighter and much more rested than tired! A happy wife is a happy life!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Isberg Pass: SE Yosemite Aug 13-20

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice trip. Glad to hear that your wife had a good time, too. Nice report. The last time I was in the immediate vicinity was with my wife in 1994. We went to Rockbound and Blue Lakes, then did various dayhikes from there including Harriet one day (we found the pass pretty easy, but we didn't have a full pack), and a great loop the next day that included Foerster, Lyell Fork, Electra. We also went to Twin Island Lakes on the last of our day hikes before going out on our last day. That Isberg Pass area does look nice. We'll probably head in that way one of these days.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Nice TR, thanks.
I really like that Red Devil Lake area, one of my favorites in the Clark Range area.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I camped at Turner with my sons Mike (7yo) and Jim (11yo). They loved Turner. The next day we went to Edna (and their 1st x - country). Edna's not a good place for kids. 3 years earlier I went solo to Harriet. I caught lots of small fish but at least I had a big fish dinner. I liked your pics. I didn't have a camera on my trips.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hey Take-a-hike

Just curious---but did your seven pounds stay off? My experience is that a lot of that is a sort of slow dehydration from the altitude, and it comes back pretty quickly...but a few pounds is the real deal, and if you keep it up, your body (and wife!) will appreciate it!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

Yes so far, so good. In fact I added to it....down 10 so far from pre-trip weigh in. I found that the week or so we go every August I use as my catalyst for getting off the junk food and beer...(notice I distinguish between the 2!). I"m amazed at what little we eat up there and it seems to be plenty...and we suffer no ill effects.
So, that is my "weight loss boot camp". When we get back I go right into officiating football, then basketball. I work for local high schools and small colleges...so stay busy Thur thru Sat every week until late Nov, then right into basketball 4-6 nites / week. Now that my tourn golf season is over, I have returned to hitting the weights a little harder in the gym, so I would imagine I'll put a little more weight back on, but it should be ok. I still do a lot of cardio stuff early in the week, taper that off mid week then go to weights and still do Yoga once or twice / week, too.
My biggest weakness is chips, cookies and beer. So I have sworn off chips alltogether since we've been back and only hit the beer w/the guys after a game. Maybe once per week w/dinner...that's about it. At my age, pushing 60, sometimes I think it's a losing battle, but I'm going to fight it as long as I can.
Wife is helping this year too, as she noticed she put on some weight compared to previous year and she felt it was tougher on her the first 2-3 days out. So she's knocking off on the unhealthy stuff and buying some quality snack food and we're cutting down on portions.
Crap...now you've made me thirsty....
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Ha!

I'm a cyclist, so that's how I keep fit when I am not backpacking. IT's a good combo, because extra weight doesn't do you any good in either activity. And the cycling really helps my cardio...i seem to be able to hit the Sierra and start hiking withoutt many ill effects.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Great TR and nice to see you *both* back in action and going hard at it.