What does your pack weigh?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: What does your pack weigh?

Post by lostcoyote »

i am doing a 3 week trip starting this afternoon.
my pack weighs 64 pounds.

four weeks back, i did a 2 week trip with my kiddo.
my pack weighed ~70 pounds.

many years ago, i used to carry a large format camera on 3 week trips.
the heaviest i recorded was my pack weighing 104 pounds.

i'm glad those days are over but i miss the large format images.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

You're the man! I am doing all I can to save weight, but I have to balance that with having a good time, acc. to my terms. That's what I am there for.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

lostcoyote wrote:i am doing a 3 week trip starting this afternoon.
my pack weighs 64 pounds.

four weeks back, i did a 2 week trip with my kiddo.
my pack weighed ~70 pounds.

many years ago, i used to carry a large format camera on 3 week trips.
the heaviest i recorded was my pack weighing 104 pounds.

i'm glad those days are over but i miss the large format images.
Wow.. I mean Wow!!! 60lbs sounds/feels painfull unless downhill. wait, that's painful too. Makes my hips hurt just reading your post.. I've decided that 45 for me now is max, as my legs don't go numb.. That's after a usual load of 53lbs lately. Last year i did a 75lb pack all downhill, but that was 10 miles out and it hurt. I was hunting and picked up some extra "weight."

I understand the camera load issue, even the fishing load issue. For me, I now try and target my fishing gear (mostly based on contacts on this forum.)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

64 lbs... wow.

I know a good pack with sturdy suspension will make it feel like less, but ....

I usually hit 20-25 lbs for a 2-4 night, more for longer (food is usually the variable) or colder temps (more insulation please! cold sleeper!). 2 lbs is my fishing gear.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

That is awesome. I would love to get closer to that. I am looking into a lighter bag, and different pack for shorter trips, but that will be next year's budget.
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

Over the past 5 years, I have made an effort to replace/upgrade older, heavier gear with newer/lighter/better gear. Like some others, I found that making a spreadsheet greatly assisted me in assessing where I could make the most sensible changes. Fortunately, there is a very precise scale at my work, so over the course of 3-4 weeks, I brought a few items in each day and weighed them.

My gear philosophy is to buy good quality gear that will last. While trying to be as light as possible, I like some creature comforts, such as a pillow, a full length air pad, double wall mug, playing cards, cotton t-shirt for in camp and while sleeping as well as some bourbon. I also bring along a good amount of fishing gear, and on most trips, a dedicated frypan to cook a few fish for dinner. I always carry a well equipped (and heavy - 1.25 lbs) first aid kit, that could probaboly accomodate 3-4 people, even when going solo. I have never needed anything other the occasional band-aid, tape, or gauze, but it makes me, and more importantly, my wife feel better. Also, you never know when you may need to help another party in trouble.

I am considering replacing my Garica with a custom 12" Bearikade and replacing my bivy with a Big Agnes Copper Spur 1. Even though my bivy has 2 poles that create plenty of headroom, I think I would enjoy some additional space during bad weather. The weight savings from the Bearikade (17oz less) would almost exactly cancel out the added weight of the tent.

Below is my gear list, despite the length of the trip. Without food, but with water and bourbon, I am at just under 27 lbs. That comes out to just over 24 lbs without liquids. I feel really comfortable with the balance between the reasonable weight and a few luxuries. I average about 1lb per day for food, so for a solo 7-day trip, with food and water, my packweight would start at 34lbs.

Item /.oz
Osprey Aether 70 Pack / 76
GG Pack Cover / 2.7
Marmot Helium 15 Bag / 32
NF Soloist 2-pole Bivy /33
Reg Prolite 3 Pad / 20
Exped Air Pillow / 3.2
Garcia Bear Cannister / 41.12
Tikka XP Headlamp / 4
Snow Peak Titanium Spork / 0.64
Snow Peak Titanium Plate / 2
Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter / 11.04
Reef Flip Flops / 8.2
OR Zealot Rain/Wind Coat / 7.79
Snow PeakDouble-Wall Titanium Mug / 4.28
MSR Superfly Stove / 5.44
8oz MSR fuel Canister / 8
MSR Titan Kettle / 4
MSR Duralite Fry pan / 5.84
Pan Handle / 2
1liter Nalgene w/water / 39.77
Pack Towel / 3
12oz Flask (filled w/ Bourbon) / 16
96oz collapsable nalgene (empty) / 2.24
Montbell Alpine Light Down Jacket / 12.60
Longsleeve Shirt/Thermal / 7.84
Shortsleeve Shirt / 8.88
Socks / 5.68
Cotton T-shirt / 5.44
Beanie / 0.5
Gloves / 1.28
Knife / 3
First Aid Kit / 20.8
Tom Harrison Map / 1.84
High Gear Altimeter/Watch/Comp / 2
Fishing Equipment / 20.8
8' light cord / 1.04
Mosquito head net / 1.3
Small Playing Cards / 1
DEET / 1.48
Soap / 1.5
Tooth brush/paste / 1.5

TOTAL (w/water and bourbon, but no food) = 430.74 oz. / 26.92 lbs.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I use the Bear Vault 500 for all trips, so I might look into a smaller, lighter canister for shorter trips to save some weight. The Bearikade Weekender is 10 ounces lighter, and holds only 50 cubic inches less. I just wish the diameter was a little less than 9 inches, because I do think it would be a struggle to get into a smaller, lighter pack than what I now use. We both use the same stove and fuel, the MSR Superfly. I think when I weighed my 8 ounce fuel canister, it was 12.5 ounces. I think the weight is about 4 ounces when empty.
Well, I am off, with my 38 pound pack for 5 days to Red Mt. Basin. Its all good.

regards
Richard
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

M & J Taboose Pass.jpg
For me it all depended on who was going with me. When I carried a heavy pack I hiked slow and took occasional rest stops. With a light pack I hiked moderately fast and took almost no rests for hours at a time up really steep grades. With my wife (Saint Diane) I took nearly everything, knowing that no matter how much I took (within reason) I had to wait for her, which was fine. Among other things I would take a chair that weighed 4-5 pounds. If I went with someone like Lee Starke I knew I should pack light. When I started going with my 2 sons (6 & 11) I packed very light. I wouldn't even take a compass (until one time we hiked an extra 2-3 hours because of this). Still, I usually took a camera and regret the times I didn't. The 3 of us would sleep in a Star Gazer (for 1-2 people) tent. For a week I'd still be carrying 60+ pounds. As a result I bought a lot of gear, some light weight, expensive, and not so comfy. Some of my gear was inexpensive heavier and comfy. Just for me, I had a small, medium and large thermarest. Over many years I must have bought 7 - 12 tents. I spent lost of money on BP gear. It was all worth it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cross Country on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

richlong8 wrote:I use the Bear Vault 500 for all trips, so I might look into a smaller, lighter canister for shorter trips to save some weight. The Bearikade Weekender is 10 ounces lighter, and holds only 50 cubic inches less. I just wish the diameter was a little less than 9 inches, because I do think it would be a struggle to get into a smaller, lighter pack than what I now use. We both use the same stove and fuel, the MSR Superfly. I think when I weighed my 8 ounce fuel canister, it was 12.5 ounces. I think the weight is about 4 ounces when empty.
Well, I am off, with my 38 pound pack for 5 days to Red Mt. Basin. Its all good.

regards
Richard
The very lightest and smallest of the approved bear canisters (good in Yosemite and SEKI) is the Bare Boxer Contender. You can buy it in the stores in Yosemite for $40. Perfect for 2-3 day trips. Even 4 - if you really pack carefully and eat all the first day's food so you don't need to put it in.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

sigh :retard:

Way too much. Until the above pic, I thought I was the only one left on Earth still using an external frame pack. Anyway, 55lbs on longer trips and 65lbs on shorter trips. The shorter ones are with my wife and kids. Longer ones with someone who can carry their share. I really need to buy new gear. Most of my stuff is 25 years old.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.