Caching food in bear boxes on the JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Caching food in bear boxes on the JMT

Post by richlong8 »

I am not talking about Bear canisters or other things left in bear boxes. People should clean up after themselves, and if they don't, they might have to learn the hard way.
I have only cached a couple of times, and most of the time, I would never bother, and I pick up after myself, and often after others, like the rest of you probably do.
However, I don't see why a concealed, sealed bear canister, that is found incidentally by a ranger, should inspire the same kind of reaction that leaving stuff in a bear box does. It is not exactly the same as trash lying in the middle of the trail, is it?
Just my "old school" opinion. It is the person whose caches own risk, but I like to think of a ranger as being some one who is out there to help me, not thinking of ways to write citations.
I am all for doing away with bear boxes. I think they were put in to help people be responsible("crutch").
The bear canisters are readily available to rent or buy, people just need to use them.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Oubliet »

I guess if there's a high abandonment rate of those caches, I can see how the rangers would become annoyed.

More recently, I've heard that carrying kayaks over Bishop Pass is becoming a "thing". If people break them trying to kayak the middle fork of the Kings River, I certainly hope they dutifully carry out their trashed kayak pieces!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

Wow - resurrection!