Bears and rain and packs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bears and rain and packs

Post by Captain Slappy »

This might be a silly question. As a hiker from a non-bear area, I am not used to preparing for the eventuality of bears wandering into camp and rooting through my things. But as I prepare to be in Sierra bear country in a couple of weeks, there is one scenario I am wondering about.

Assuming that all of your food is stored safely in a bear canister for the night and that you have stashed your pack with the zippers unzipped in case a bear decides to examine it. But what happens if it rains? Can you still put a pack cover or a garbage bag over your pack without a bear ripping it and/or the pack up? Thanks.
Last edited by Captain Slappy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Re: Bears and rain and packs

Post by rayfound »

Yes. Just keep all scented items away from your backpack and you're fine. I've yet to see a bear in the Sierra.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I see bears several times per year, never been a problem.

If they get too close I just wave my arms and yell, and maybe throw some pine cones or sticks at them. That usually makes them scamper off.

Although attacks by black bears do happen rarely, most of the time they are skittish and timid around humans (one wildlife biologist friend of mine claims humans smell bad to black bears, so they often won't come close to a camp unless hunger and curiosity overcome the malodorous repugnance).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
alinsdau
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by alinsdau »

Hang your pack upside down on a thin branch or just set it upside down, so should be bear take an interest, the pack won't be damaged in the take-away attempt.
I've seen bears many times and after an initial investigation, they move on. But, they're terribly smart and motivated, so there are no guarantees.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

rayfound wrote:Yes. Just keep all scented items away from your backpack and you're fine. I've yet to see a bear in the Sierra.
what rayfound said, except for seeing bears. Take out the scented stuff, and there'll be no problem. Had a friends pack taken at about 2am, and we pelted it with the complimentary pile of stones, and chased it for a 100 yds.. it dropped it. toothpaste in a pocket (ripped that pocket). I do believe bears don't like human smell, but love everything we use..

not sure you need to hang your pack upside down. I resort to weaving climbing web in my frame, cooking pots and tying it to a tree base or around some rocks. gives me time to unzip the tent, put on the headlamp, grab some rock and throw. as for rain.. I keep everything zipped up after i empty the smelly stuff into the can. some of my clothes are still in it. as it's waterproof, i don't cover it.

Depends on where you're going as to the bears being agressive, or present. Where are you going?
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

Thanks. I really appreciate the input!
rlown wrote:Depends on where you're going as to the bears being agressive, or present. Where are you going?
I'll be on the Rae Lakes loop for a few days next month. I might also do another shorter trail in Sierra National Forest, depending on time constraints. Apparently, there is a lot of bear activity on the Rae Lakes trail, and just I want to be prepared for anything.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Rae Lakes has bear boxes at the major campsites. That makes it easy to put everything away that could possibly attract a bear. Here's a link to some of the bear boxes in SEKI:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

In Yosemite people's packs get dragged off whether they contain food or not. I've heard four first hand accounts this year, plus it's been posted on the board at the backpacker camp in Tuolumne Meadows for over a year that they want you to stuff the packs in the bear boxes as well as your smellables due to this problem.

In Rae Lakes, I'd stuff the whole pack in the bear box. The bears are pretty bad there. Wasn't there someone this year whose bear vault got broke into on that loop?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote:In Yosemite people's packs get dragged off whether they contain food or not.
Depends on where you are, but yes.. If there is room in a box, I'd put my whole pack in. Most of the places i go don't have bear boxes, other than the "night before" campgrounds. At Tioga for example, each campground has a bearbox and you can fit 4 packs in each one. If I'm in "bear country", i still tie up my pack on it's leash with pots in the line, so i have time to react. But.. my pack has an external frame.. YMMV.

The further you are away from the masses, the lesser chance of a pack attack. I personally see nothing wrong with covering your pack with a garbage bag at night to protect from rain.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

rlown wrote: i still tie up my pack on it's leash with pots in the line, so i have time to react. But.. my pack has an external frame.. YMMV.
Hmm...do you think using the packs straps to tie the pack around a tree would suffice or should I plan on bringing some extra rope? This would be assuming that the pack could not be put in a bear box.

Alternatively, if the pack doesn't have anything smelly in it, would it be too risky to keep it in the tent?