2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by mountaineer »

cvr wrote:...I did not bring a camera on the trip...

The most disheartening words ever uttered... :crybaby:
daniel
Topix Newbie

Post by daniel »

I spent four nights at Rae Lakes last Wednesday through Saturday (August 18-21). Mosquitos came out only at dusk for about an hour and were moderate in number, but enough to warrant a little bit of Ultrathon. Never saw them in morning or during the day.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Cvr, did you happen to do any fishing? I might be doing this exact trip in reverse next month; Edison to Silver Pass to Peter Pande/Anne and then back over the Graveyards and out.

Matt
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

windknot wrote:Cvr, did you happen to do any fishing? I might be doing this exact trip in reverse next month; Edison to Silver Pass to Peter Pande/Anne and then back over the Graveyards and out.

Matt
One of the best late season fishing spots in the Sierra. You are going at the perfect time. #14-#16 mosquito or small, flourescent orange super-duper, depending on what kind of fishing you do. A couple of years ago my sister and I were up there in late September and we caught 165 fish in 2 1/2 days, mostly in the lower lake and the large upper lake. She used the SD and I used the fly. It was rare that we DIDN'T catch one on every cast. PP/Anne was not quite as abundant but the fish were bigger.
rock_snow_sky
Topix Newbie

Post by rock_snow_sky »

Between 8/22 and 8/28 from mineral king over sawtooth, columbine, lost canyon, big and litle five, nine lakes, and blackrock canyon, skeeters were certainly still a nuisance. Some evenings when the breeze stopped perhaps a 3 out of 5. In addition to good site selection, there are 2 products I tried on this trip that I can't speak highly enough about: ex officios insect shield clothing, and smart shield natural repellent. They actually worked - I was blown away. For me, smart shield is a game changer.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the info, mountaineer. I've read some of your past reports from the area and they're definitely encouraging.

Mosquito report: 8/28-29, Island/Twin Lakes, Desolation Wilderness - MAR=0, no mosquitoes at all.
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

About not bringing a camera, I know, I know...We had a few cameras in the group, so I decided I would leave mine in the car. After seeing the others' pics, I will not make that mistake again.

I fished at Graveyard without much luck. There were many packer parties camped at the lake, so we just moved to less travelled area as soon as possible. I caught small-ish fish at Peter Pande (inlet). There seemed to be fewer, but larger fish in Anne. They averaged around 10-11". I mostly fished the outlet area. I really enjoyed my afternoon and early evening there. The 15-20foot cliff jump into the lake from the West side of the penninsula on the northern end of the lake was especially fun and refereshing. There was even an easy place to climb back out of the water. My best fish of the trip came at Wilbur May. It was only 12" or so, but a nice fatty. He's still there waiting for you! :nod:
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

desolation wilderness: labor day weekend.
Maud Lake: 0-1. Mostly in the evening. Didn't seem to be too bad, but had six to seven bites. No deet used.
Doris Lake: 0. Thank god for the wind up there! :)
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Red Mt. Basin Labor Day weekend- 0
budm0318
Topix Newbie

Post by budm0318 »

Silliman Crest loop 9-7 to 9-11; Jennie, Twin, Lost and Seville Lakes = Big 0. Rowell Meadow = 2.