What does your pack weigh?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ultra Lightweight Backpacking

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks Russ, that is a nice previous thread, I think I will take some time to digest it. Sounds like I am not the only one who looks at these things. If I only I would leave my North Face down camp slippers, I could save a pound!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cahiker »

It made a big difference for me to weigh each item and enter it all in a spreadsheet. I have it set up so I can put an "x" in the column next to each item to indicate whether it should be included in the total weight calculation. I also keep track of what I don't use on each trip. This "what if" analysis helps me choose what to bring based on weather, destination, who I'm going with, etc.

Yeah this is too detailed for some people, but just adding up everything with paper and pencil will give you a lot of insight.

Of course you're not going to leave your backup firestarter at home next time because you never use it, but you might decide you don't really need all those stuff sacks and eating utensils or can get by with lighter weight camp shoes. My pack definitely isn't UL, but it's generally lighter than my hiking partners' (a good thing because I'm usually the weak link!) I didn't go out and buy a bunch of new light weight gear, but mostly cut out a bunch of little things that I haven't missed.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Good suggestion, that spreadsheet, it sounds more organized to me, and might help me not to forget something, or to leave something at home, and save some weight.

I have already identified one area I have been toting too much weight. For a lot of trips, even short ones, I have been bringing more than one full fuel canister. One full canister with an MSR Superfly should easily get me thru 5 days, 2 canisters for 10 days, and that's figuring a little extra for extra boils, and trout. Worse case scenario, I maybe run out of fuel the last morning, which is not a big issue.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Rich, your stove solution is overall likely lighter than mine, but the jetboil is so plainly hassle-free, it gets the nod.

This last trip, my Brother-in-law and I cooked breakfast (oatmeal and coffee) and dinners (mountain house) for 3 days/2nights on a shared 1/3 full (by weight) jetboil canister. Still have something in it, as it was working fine when we quit.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Eric,

Might consider combining this thread with the last one on pack weight. Seems that the both topics will cover the usual stuff.

Russ

ERIC wrote:The threads have been merged
Last edited by ERIC on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the threads have been merged
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

What I dont see on your lists is the libation used to salute the mountain gods. I usually prefer some amber nectar (Bourbon) but for more bang for the weight use 151 rum (which I also like). I also like fermented grain so I include a couple of 24oz Steel Reserves. The empty can makes a good drip coffee maker.

My calculation is 4oz of ETOH per guy/gal per day. By the last night there is usually enough for a last night in the Wilderness party. :D

I know this was discussed in another forum so if you want to move it, so be it.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I heartily second the motion on the spreadsheet. If you have a decent scale and you weigh every item you'll find some surprises - I know I did. Your general description of what you bring does not sound much different from what I would have, except I don't fish and don't carry a GPS, but I would expect to be around 30 lbs for 10 days, so I'm guessing we have a similar list of items, but each of my items is probably lighter than your comparable item. You won't want to replace every item on your list with the lightest version on the market all at once - unless you 're filthy rich - but having a spreadsheet with all the actual weights helps to identify items that would make a big difference if you switched to a new and lighter option, and it helps to identify things you can just do without that would make a difference.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Re: What does your pack weigh?

Post by lambertiana »

My brother takes the spreadsheet one step further - he lists his current gear with weight, and then the next option with weight and cost, with a final column showing cost per oz saved, that way he can maximize his dollars each year.

I like my comfort, so I am not an ultraligher by any stretch of the imagination. On my two longer trips this year, my total weight at trailhead, including food and water, was 33 lb for a six day trip with a scout troop from Onion Valley to Whitney, and 39 lb for what was planned as an eight day loop from Roads End over Cirque Crest. The only real difference between the two trips was the amount of food I took, and I took too much food on the second trip.

I bring a full coverage tent (Marmot EOS 1P) and full insulated air mattress (Insulmat). Other items:

Pack - Osprey Atmos 65
Stove/Pot - Snow Peak Giga/smaller pot from Brunton IB set
Canister - Bearikade Weekender
Bag - Western Mountaineering Summerlite

I carry a good first aid kit and a well-stocked repair kit, this is derived from the fact that I frequently go with scouts and I need to be prepared to take care of them. I only bring one set of spare clothes, one wool shirt, and one rain shell. And to say that I am interested in knives is an huge understatement, so I am never deficient in that department. I always bring a fixed blade (a very light one that I had a custom maker here in Visalia make for me) as well as a couple light folders and a Leatherman Squirt. Over the last seven years, I have purchased one major item of gear each year to reduce my weight, and in the process have dropped 20 lb from my total pack weight. And my decision to stop carrying a .45 has helped, too. It was just a lot of weight (don't worry, I'm legal, I have a permit).
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I find that pack-weight 10 to 35 pounds is all the same. Last trip, my pack was 33 pounds and I never gave it much thought. For me it is all a balance between weight and comfort, which is why I carry a one pound chair (which includes a headrest). My tent is 1.5 pounds, pack and sleeping-bag is about 3 pounds each (I could probably take off 1.5 pounds with a newer WM bag), I won't compromise on a less than comfortable hip-belt, I gave up on dehyd food long ago (except for very long trips), and my stove is little more than a gas can and nozzle-stove (that can hold up the titanium pot). The pad is inflatable. Food works out to about a pound a day. I do not obsess about every ounce as long as it is all under 35 pounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

This is a great post, with some fine ideas that I am going to continue to explore in the future. I'm off tomorrow for 5 days with a 37-38 pound load....12 miles in, 12 miles out! Gasp..actually, that is a bit of an improvement for me, the spreadsheet definitely helps.
I am carrying 4 pounds of fishing gear, including a roomy fanny pack, 2 rods, 2 reels, etc; I have 3 layover days to fish- the extra weight should be worth it. (or maybe not!)