NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Post by rlown »

Of course, this "journey" wouldn't be complete without firing off an email to the maker, CascadeDesigns. So I did..

My query:
Hi all,

Kind of a courtesy call. I bought a NeoAir large in 2009 from REI. It worked great for 8 days in Sept in ’09, and then for 3 days this July. Then there was the hip bone hitting the floor at about 3am on this July trip. I guess I’m glad it was a slow leak..

So, my question: I’m taking it back to REI and either getting a replacement or a Prolite Large. Obviously, The Prolite is heavier, but If you can say that I won’t be disappointed by getting a replacement NeoAir, that would be good enough for me. Note that My Neo was either on a tarp or in a tent the whole time. I wasn’t hard on it at all.

I’ve heard similar deflation stories from others.

I’d be interested in a response before I make my decision.
And the response:
Hey Russ,

Thank you for contacting Cascade Designs Inc.
It is possible that you have one of our early run models which had some slight leakage problems. The result is a very slow leak which takes awhile to be noticed. If this is the case then it is certainly a warranty and something we will replace. This problem was corrected and you are not likely to receive another with this problem. You may certainly return it to us or perhaps REI will exchange it for you. If you prefer to send it into us then please let me know and email me your address so I may issue a RA# along with our address.

Nathan Hamm
Cascade Designs Inc.
Anyway, other inflatable pads have let me down (literally) before, and as long as they replace it, I really like this pad. Granted, if I see a second failure, I might have to revert to my heavier pad.

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I've gone thru a bunch of inflatable thermarests. The only ones that haven't developed a leak is the prolite 4 that has been used a total of 17 nights and a big thick one that I use car camping on a cot. I just assume that if something can be punctured eventually it will be. I really nailed my exped this summer with my hemostats! A little duct tape fixed the puncture nicely. When I got home I did my usual shoe goo repair. I also notice that down will work its way out of the exped just like it will from a down sleeping bag. The result is an incredibly slow leak. Each night on lay over days I have to add a little air before I go to bed. A small cost for a good night sleep. The prolite just doesn't hack it for my arthritic shoulders and hips. 20 years ago the prolite would have been my pad of choice.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Had my NeoAir for a year now. Still no leaks, no crinkling, and reliably warm into the 20F range. Used in tents and hammocks. Loaned it to others, resulting in more business for NeoAir vendors.... No complaints here. I bought the thing full price at REI thinking it would go back - quite happy to get 4 hours of sleep on the ground rather than the usual 0. (Every pad is more comfortable in my hammock, I sleep a solid 8 there....)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. so REI in Santa Rosa doesn't even stock the NeoAir Large, and when i called them to return and replace, they wanted to charge me for a replacement and then credit back.. Um, I already paid for it so i was confused. The clerk informed me that i could drive to Berkley and pick one up. Not.

So i called the REI exchange number.. Same smell. Now why would i want to be charged twice for something that i already paid for? Idiots. REI policy on that sucks (at least at the Santa Rosa store).

So, I emailed cascade designs, per my prior post. Shipped my Neo to them and I'm getting it replaced. Nathan did a great job on handling the issue.

REI.. not so much..

Russ
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Russ,

Why would you even try and return it to REI when Cascade Designs said to send it to them for replacement???
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i thought it would be easy, as i bought it at REI.. They lost some respect for me..

OK.. so i have somewhat of a customer service background, webwise. REI exhibited none of that.

Hence, direct to cascade..

If i was REI, i would of had one delivered to a local store for exchange. It's been done in other venues, but they flat out refused..
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

REI stopped being a backpak shop about 25yrs ago now they are just a big box shop with backpacks.
But:
They also have a nice inflatable pad on sale now, IIRC a "Big Agnes Air Core"
I have both insulated and non insulated pads and the way I use them eliminates
and concern for punctures. I carry a short Z-rest for insulation and backup.
depending of the ground surface I will sleep with the z-rest over or under my
air pad. I have protection for the pad, better insulation, and a fail safe backup.
The total weight of the z-rest and air pad together is still less than any self
inflating pad of 1in or more.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

all true, about REI anyway.

this wasn't a puncture. this was a known slow leak defect.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Leak, puncture, defect, no matter it still goes flat and costs over $100.00.
BTW
Sierra Designs----gone, just a fancy pants name now.
North Face---------same, same.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

frediver wrote: BTW
Sierra Designs----gone, just a fancy pants name now.
North Face---------same, same.
Not sure what you mean?... Gone as is out of business or gone as in "used to be a backpacking cottage company, is now a major brand, some coolness and customer service lost in the shuffle"