2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Rockstar fisherman
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by Rockstar fisherman »

The cottonwood Lakes basin has calmed down greatly since the 2nd week of July, the skeeters were fairly active in the evenings but not bad in the mornings or day, in fact I pretty much never sprayed down. I did pay for that in the evenings as I could only take about a 30-60 second break on the trail before I had to get moving due to mosquitos finding me.
sierrahiker
Topix Newbie

Post by sierrahiker »

Onion Valley Camp 8/16/2010 rating 0 out of 5 :)
Gilbert lake, Matlock Lake, Flower Lake 8/17/2010 to 8/19/2010 rating 0 out of 5 :nod:
Onion Valley Camp 8/20/2010 rating 0.1 out of 5 :nod:

We were ready with Ultrathon and Thermacell but never had to use any. I think I may have seen one mosquito by the creek at Onion Valley on 8/20 but definitely not a problem. :thumbsup:
hwy395lvrz
Topix Acquainted

Post by hwy395lvrz »

SW Yosemite 8/15-8/20 Bridalveil Creek,Chilnualna Lakes,Buena Vista Pass,Royal Arch Lake,Johnson Lake,Crescent Lake,Turner Meadow...
Still lots of wildflowers and moisture in the meadows.Skeets were only bothersome if you stopped for a long period of time.About a 1.5 at the lakes in late afternoon.All in all,not really a negative factor.
kevmc
Topix Novice

Post by kevmc »

Just got back from a trip from tenaya lake to the valley via clouds rest. Skeeters were pretty much a zero. I think I saw maybe 3 or 4 the whole trip. We talked to a ranger at the bottom and she said that backpackers were coming back from that route saying the skeeters were horrible a few weeks ago so we lucked out
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Hoover Wilderness...8/17-8/20....no more than a 0.5 at any time. The only ones I even saw/heard were at the very edge of the water in a meadow. No bites.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Cottonwood Lakes Basin, 8/21 - 8/24

When the wind was out, its a 1. (Duh)

When the wind died down, maybe a few would start buzzing around in the evenings and mornings, a single application of Deet Around sunset was sufficient to prevent much hassle.

Call it a 1.5.

I think I got One bite.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

8/19-22: Lake Edison to Graveyard Lakes, cross country to Peter Pande/Anne L., then to Wilbur May L. then out over Silver Pass.

It was very warm and sunny the first two days. Skeeterz were a 1.5. Not bad at all and only in shady/wet areas. It was windy the last two days, so no bugs whatsoever.

It looks like the skeeter season is coming to a close. I always enjoy leaving the DEET at home in Sept/Oct.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looking forward to seeing your TR and those photo's of PP, Annie!
Did you get to Olive?
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

I did not go to Olive.

I did not bring a camera on teh trip, but two in my group did. I am waiting so see what kind of pictures they send to see if they are worthy of posting. If they are not, I will take matters into my own hands for my upcoming trip to Humphrey's Basin and French Canyon.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

cvr wrote:8/19-22: Lake Edison to Graveyard Lakes, cross country to Peter Pande/Anne L., then to Wilbur May L. then out over Silver Pass.

It was very warm and sunny the first two days. Skeeterz were a 1.5. Not bad at all and only in shady/wet areas. It was windy the last two days, so no bugs whatsoever.

It looks like the skeeter season is coming to a close. I always enjoy leaving the DEET at home in Sept/Oct.
My favorite trip in the whole Sierra!