Wilderness campfire ban expanded

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
teejay
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Wilderness campfire ban expanded

Post by teejay »

A new order by the U.S. Forest Service is in effect which renews and expands on the previous elevation based restrictions on campfires in the John Muir and Ansel Adams Wilderness. The supervisors determined that there was a need to ban campfires in a number of additional lower elevation areas where firewood is supposedly depleted.
Campfires in a couple of my favorite areas where thick red fir and lodgepole pine forests exist and visitation is relatively low –upper McGee and Hilton Creek drainages- are now prohibited by this new order. I certainly understand and support the restrictions in heavily used sites and near timberline but this blanket approach seems extreme.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 189748.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(My apology for not putting this in the general discussion area where it probably belongs; but although the subject is serious and important to me, I couldn’t help snickering as I considered it being posted under the “campfire” section of the forum).
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Wilderness campfire ban expanded

Post by SSSdave »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
teejay
Topix Acquainted

Post by teejay »

Sorry Dave, evidently old news. Your post was on Jul.25 and the order wasn’t officially in effect until signed on Aug. 2. I didn’t search back far enough before posting.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Maps showing the fire allowed and restricted areas

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 189333.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray