new

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mtn.horhe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: new

Post by mtn.horhe »

Thanks again for the replies it has really given me a lot to think about. I wont be able to go on any longer trips (3 days+) till next summer because of no available time :( but at least i will have plenty of time to plan out my trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I have been going to the Sierra since the 70's, and love going solo.
The heightened sense of awareness, a sixth sense, is intoxicating to me.
Obviously being prepared physically, and mentally all make my getting back
to my wife in one piece much more likely.
All I carry is my topo for navigation, if needed, but no compass, gps, quad, spot
since when I am in the Sierra I am at home (don't tell my wife I said that!).
I become one with my environment, like when coming down a ridge I envision
my self being water so to find the path of least resistance, hope this make sense
to you.
You should slowly introduce yourself to solo trips, and then extended the
lengths of time spent out alone.
We are so conditioned to be followers, stay on the road, stay on the side walk,
stay on the trail, that going off trail is something taboo to a lot of us, it comes
with a lot of unknown, which is frightening to most folks.
Being alone is more of a mental challenge, where one's mind needs to be
conditioned to except one's inter fears.
Some one mention that they have more of a chance dying in a car accident
on the way home from the Sierra, and I agree, I would like to add that I could
not think of a better place to meet my maker than in the Sierra, if I had a choice!
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

I enjoy going alone, and don't worry about it if I am on a trail. Though I am more cautious when hiking cross country alone. One thing I think is important for me when hiking alone: don't get obsessive about saving weight. I don't cut corners too tight on weight when I am alone- I can survive an injury or illness, or bad weather, because I am packing what it takes to survive. Hiking the John Muir Trail as fast as you can, as light as you can, by yourself is different than getting back into the wilds of the Sierra alone. Both have their rewards. Have fun! Welcome.
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Baffman »

I am a soloist as well. Markshor's thoughts and reasons on it going it alone match mine perfectly.

A few others mentioned a SPOT or PLB. I use a SPOT. I use it mostly for the comfort of my friends and family. With the tracking feature enabled, they've said they love to see where I am, where I have been and that I am "OK." In the event that I have an emergency, I am confident that I can get help.

Baff